Scope advice.

I don't think you can get more for your money than the Bushnell XRS II. The best scope I've seen for $1500 or less. Great glass, very good turrets and a very nice reticle. There's been a couple on here in the $1200-$1400 range. Terrific scopes.

For a few $$$ more than the Ares ETR,the Athlon Cronus BTR is a fantastic scope for the money. I have a Cronus and it will run right with my NF ATACR & IOR Valdada Recon for almost half the price. I have 3 Athlon scopes,and they have been very good scopes for the money.
Me too! 🙋‍♂️
There's a FB group "Athlon Optics for Sale", you might find a used one there.

I am in kind of the same boat as you are. I have been researching for my first build but it needs to be a rifle that can do both hunt and target.

Go to YouTube and look up Richard Utting. He has a video on long range target scopes and was a good watch. He talks about the Athelon and then talks about the Delta striker which is same price but beats Athelon in every way.

Like I said I am researching also so I dont have first hand knowledge. Just dont want you to miss out on possibly another scope to consider like the Delta Stryker HD.

Best of luck

I am in kind of the same boat as you are. I have been researching for my first build but it needs to be a rifle that can do both hunt and target.

Go to YouTube and look up Richard Utting. He has a video on long range target scopes and was a good watch. He talks about the Athelon and then talks about the Delta striker which is same price but beats Athelon in every way.

Like I said I am researching also so I dont have first hand knowledge. Just dont want you to miss out on possibly another scope to consider like the Delta Stryker HD.

Best of luck
Thanks for the info! I will look into that! I plan on using me setup for both long range target and hunting. I unfortunately don't have the funds to have 1 of each at the moment. But I am fairly strong and active, so I am not too concerned about having a heavy set up.

You can get a Nikon black 4-16x50 FFP MIL scope for 329$ right now. It's made in the Philippines, probably at the same factory as the Burris XTR and Vortex PST. Glass is about the same as the other two, knobs are 10 mil per turn, and a pretty good zero stop. Buy that and put your saved money toward mounts and a spotter. They have a 6-24 also but I'd pay attention to the amount of travel you'd be giving up and the higher magnification is kind of a waste of the glass quality isn't there.

With your budget I would highly recommend the razor gen 2. I've been using mine in nasty conditions for 5 years and it has been super reliable. You might find one used for $1400 if your lucky or new for around 1800.

pros: great glass, super rugged, repeatable true adjustments, great zero system.
Cons: heavy 48 oz, the color of the tube takes some getting used to.

In terms of Mils or MOA depends what your plans are and squat your friends shoot. If your thinking of trying PRS style shooting ie competition I'd go mil just because that's what everybody will be speaking If your shooting buddies all use MOA then go that route for the same reason

I have been very happy with my. ( 4 ) Sightron 10-50x60 scopes. Used ones can be had for 800.00 from sellers moving up to a 2000.00 plus Nightforce. I don't think you would ever need to up grade to any other brand.
I think best value out there is the sightron line. Marty

Check out the close outs on Vortex at EuroOptics
Hello folks, I am looking for some advice with a scope for long range target shooting. I am starting to get into long range shooting and I am looking at getting a decent scope for it. I currently have a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 with the fire dot duplex reticle. It came with the rifle I am currently using, but I would like a scope that is oriented more toward long range target shooting rather than Hunting.

I know that the pros are using scopes from Nightforce, Kahles, S&B, etc... The really high end scopes are way out of my price range, but I would like to get a scope that is going to be good enough for me to use for a few years until I can afford something really nice.

I am hoping to sell/trade my Leupold and put ~$500 into it to get a decent scope. I would like to get something in the x24 magnification range as I will also be using the scope to call my shots as I really cant afford a spotting scope right now. I am a believer in the "buy once cry once" idea, so I don't want to buy a spotting scope just yet as I would like to be able to put at least $1000-$1500 into it.

So, what would you folks with experience in long range shooting suggest I look into getting? I would also appreciate some advice as to what reticle to look at, as I really am not sure what I should be looking for there. When it comes to MOA or Mils for adjustment, at this point I am also looking for advice as I am not knowledgeable enough to really know what I should do. I am more comfortable with MOA at the moment, but I am a very fast learner and could easily adapt to using Mils if that is going to be a better route for me to go.

I am also definitely interested in going with a used scope, and I am even open to going with a well used scope as long as it holds true and the optics are in good shape, the exterior and exterior blemishes are really not a big deal to me as long as its in good shape where it counts.

Thanks in advance and I very much appreciate any advice folks can give me!

Check out Vortex closeouts on EuroOptics

Hello folks, I am looking for some advice with a scope for long range target shooting. I am starting to get into long range shooting and I am looking at getting a decent scope for it. I currently have a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 with the fire dot duplex reticle. It came with the rifle I am currently using, but I would like a scope that is oriented more toward long range target shooting rather than Hunting.

I know that the pros are using scopes from Nightforce, Kahles, S&B, etc... The really high end scopes are way out of my price range, but I would like to get a scope that is going to be good enough for me to use for a few years until I can afford something really nice.

I am hoping to sell/trade my Leupold and put ~$500 into it to get a decent scope. I would like to get something in the x24 magnification range as I will also be using the scope to call my shots as I really cant afford a spotting scope right now. I am a believer in the "buy once cry once" idea, so I don't want to buy a spotting scope just yet as I would like to be able to put at least $1000-$1500 into it.

So, what would you folks with experience in long range shooting suggest I look into getting? I would also appreciate some advice as to what reticle to look at, as I really am not sure what I should be looking for there. When it comes to MOA or Mils for adjustment, at this point I am also looking for advice as I am not knowledgeable enough to really know what I should do. I am more comfortable with MOA at the moment, but I am a very fast learner and could easily adapt to using Mils if that is going to be a better route for me to go.

I am also definitely interested in going with a used scope, and I am even open to going with a well used scope as long as it holds true and the optics are in good shape, the exterior and exterior blemishes are really not a big deal to me as long as its in good shape where it counts.

Thanks in advance and I very much appreciate any advice folks can give me!
Check out the Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm FFP with an illuminated SCR MOA reticle. Heavy duty bright with very accurate clicks. IMO, a Best Buy. Burris also makes an 8-40x50

you can find used genii razors and atacrs as well as pmiis around 2k with the used razors being under that.

I'm pretty new to long range myself - I don't have much personal experience to share, but it sounds like you might be looking for an actual target scope - something like a

NF 12-42x56
Vortex golden eagle 15-60x52

These are SFP scopes with fine reticles and fine (usually 1/8moa) clicks.

Spotting holes in paper beyond 500yd requires good conditions and FANTASTIC optics. Is that the kind of spotting you are wanting to do?
To make it easier to see where my shots are going, I use a Bullseye Wireless Target Camera Sniper Edition. Good out to 1000 yards. Works GREAT!!!!!

dang there are a lot of suggestions.. they make mine almost seem insignificant..

while I was shooting 1,000 yards plus I used a 45X target series from Leupold. I still own the scope and it is in a 338 Lapua TRG-42 Sako rifle. I find it does great when shooting 600 and beyond. I also have shot the mile with this same scope. the only thing I would want more from the scope is a lit reticle and some MOA offsets on the statia.. but this is a target scope and it has a super fine cross hair. it works wonderfully. .

Athlon Cronus 4.5x29x56 can be found in the price range you're looking at used, a new a few hundred more but well worth it! I have one on a 6.5 Grendel and love it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.