Hunting Rifles - Rem. 700 Sendero vs. 5R vs. SPS SS

socal

I am in the market for a hunting rifle and being that I am a Remington 700 fan, I am looking at a 700 chambered in 300 Win Mag as a be all, end all hunting rifle that I could use on game from hogs to Elk as well as bang steel at long range. I am a long range shooter / hand loader as well. At first I was dead set on the simple 700 SPS SS, I found them on sale for a bit over $500 however I have seen them in person and the stock is unacceptable in my opinion so I would be replacing that with a HS or Bell and Carlson asap which tacks on another couple hundred. I have also been looking at the Sendero and 5R model rifles, both of which come with nice stocks, heavier barrels, and a heftier price tag (+/- $1,000). My questions are:

- Does any one use the 5R as a hunting / pack rifle?
- As far as best bang for the buck, is the Sendero or the 5r going to win?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My Rem 700 5-R in .300 Win Mag is at the smith as we speak awaiting a new barrel because the factory barrel just would not shoot. Tried lots of tweaks to loads and bedding and different bullets. It hated it all. This was my worst experience with a Remington factory rifle.

I don't have any exp with the 5R but every Sendero that I have owned or heard about is a shooter with reloads. I love the one I have in 300WM. It shoots .5MOA all day long with any decent bullet and a little playing with the loads. I just bought another one in 264WM yesterday. I will be out shooting it this coming week.

I pulled the trigger and went with a standard 700 SPS stainless 300 win mag from Bud's Guns for $514. I figure if it doesnt shoot good enough I can still send it back to Krieger and have a medium sporter countour barrel put on it and pick up someones take-off HS stock and have right about the same money in the rifle if I bought a Sendero. For just a packing rifle, as long as I can hold close to MOA I will be satisfied.

300 wm is one of the easiest rounds i have found to get a good load for ( after the ..222 and .308) . you can load the 300 down to 308/30-06 ; we load 165/168 baltip at 3000 for deer ; can not do the reverse. adjust the trigger and enjoy. roninflag

300 wm is one of the easiest rounds i have found to get a good load for ( after the ..222 and .308) . you can load the 300 down to 308/30-06 ; we load 165/168 baltip at 3000 for deer ; can not do the reverse. adjust the trigger and enjoy. roninflag

Good thread. Thanks for the info.gun)

I had the same considerations for my rifle. By the time you spring for a quality stock that beds the action and floats the barrel it kind of justifies the Sendero 700. I started out a few years ago with the 700 SPS and it had a cheap stock and the blueing on it would rust in a heartbeat.

the 5R or Sendero would be my pick of the choices.for me I own the 5R and love it.even the weight of the rifel is just what I want to use for a hunting rifel.for me I do not walk around all day for that one buck .I find his home and hunt that spot.

and like one said finding a load for it was fun to do and easey.heck with all the info here on the net you should be able to do the same.bullet choice is all so the reason why a 300wm is alot of fun.from 165-230gn bullets to choose from.the 300wm just shines in many ways.:D

The Senduro's are awsome rifles for the price, I think that they're too heavy for any hard core back packing. If your going to be doing alot of back packing then go lighter but otherwise a senduro is the way to go. I would go for a 300 win, a 300 Ultra or find a .338 Ultra used.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.