5R vs 5R milspec

Deederswy

hey everyone,
Im going to ask a silly question i think...im buying a new rifle, i have the caliber chosen, a 300WM, and ive been looking at rifles, let me tell you, thats been a search!!! There are a lot of good choices out there! Ive looked at Remington, Tikka, Sako, Bergara, Savage, etc.....Ive decided to go with the Remington 5R gen 2. I like the heavy fluted and threaded (cerakoted)barrel, HS makes a decent stock, and the trigger...eh, thatll probably go. So im looking at remingtons website and i scroll down the page and see "other 5-r models" and there is a 5r "mil-spec", so i click on it and it has all the same info minus being cerakoted, threaded and it has a 26"tube compared to the 24" on the gen2. So im sitting here scratching my head wondering what the difference is? Are all the 5r considered to be "mil-spec" or only certain ones? Please dont say look at this rifle or caliber, im set on this one and i cant afford a custom build or i would! I just want to know if there is a difference? Thanks!!!

5R is the type/style of rifling...Any rifle of any brand can have a 5R rifled barrel.

The 5R Milspec is a rifle that is setup to "mil specs" (example: Remington M24), that also uses a 5R rifled barrel. The 5R Milspec uses the same barrel, stock, and setup as the military M24 sniper rifle. The only differences are the civilian 5R Milspec model has an M24 barrel that has been fluted and turned down to Remington's varmint/Sendero barrel contour. The HS Precision stock is a different color, whereas the M24 stock is flat black. And the civilian version uses the crappy X-Mark Pro triggers, whereas the M24 uses the M40X trigger.

The only M24s I saw when Chris Murray was running the AMU were the ones they built in house. But this was 8 or so years ago.

The M24 config is no longer being purchased by the US Mil. Hasn't since 2010. It's not available via GSA so the
" Mil spec " for that particular designation is no longer relevant.

The M24 config is no longer being purchased by the US Mil. Hasn't since 2010. It's not available via GSA so the
" Mil spec " for that particular designation is no longer relevant.

I guess that would be technically correct as its held tech to that one weapon system designation. With that said the M2010 uses 5r rifling and given that it would now be a Army spec you still have milspec 5r. Its very doubtful anything changes about it.

But the term is used incorrect regardless as what most manf mean by it is that it uses the dimensions as the one used by the mil which is of course possible.

IMO its all just marketing anyways because spec or not it would matter little to none from a practical sense.

The Remington 700 5R Milspec line does have many practical purposes. It's not a chassis system, so it's very practical for all applications. It's quite the shooter, whether hunting, target, or long range. They're the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles you'll likely ever shoot...Only downfall is the crappy lawyer-proof X-Mark Pro triggers. They are built to the specs (minus cosmetics) that made the original M24 so famous. That is why they call it the "milspec". Yes, it is marketing, but the rifles are for all intents & purposes, a civilian M24...For about 1/5 of the price.

The Remington 700 5R Milspec line does have many practical purposes. It's not a chassis system, so it's very practical for all applications. It's quite the shooter, whether hunting, target, or long range. They're the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles you'll likely ever shoot...Only downfall is the crappy lawyer-proof X-Mark Pro triggers. They are built to the specs (minus cosmetics) that made the original M24 so famous. That is why they call it the "milspec". Yes, it is marketing, but the rifles are for all intents & purposes, a civilian M24...For about 1/5 of the price.

No argument here. I agree.

So the 5r gen2 and the 5r mil-spec, both from remington are the same, at least barrel wise? The Gen 2 is fluted, threaded and cerakoted, but other than that, there is no difference?

I have the 5r with flutes you speak of. It is plenty heavy to be a consistent shooter. Provides the forgiveness of the heavy countour in a little lighter version (better for hunting). Carrying the heavy ones gets old unless you strap it.

Mine sitting in a Mcmillan HTG with NF 5.5-22x50 weighs in at about 12.5 lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.