Hunting partner died

hatfield954

Has anyone here ever lost a hunting partner? My partner passed away back in march. It makes me wonder if I will be able to go back into the woods without him. We hunted 2 of the same areas together. He lived just a mile away from me, so we did other things together too. Plus it was my wife's brother. Right now I really am not interested in going this up and coming season. I have been researching new ammo but that is probably because I have a new rifle that I never got dialed in yet. I bought it in January before he passed and season was over by then. He was just 41 which is the age I just became on the 4th. Anyone know how to fix this?

I'm sorry for your loss. 41 is too young for anyone in our lives to pass on, yet it happens all the time. The two of you shared the best time there ever was; time in the field. In a while you will seek the woods and there you will find your friend. That's how I feel about my Dad, and hunting partner, everytime I'm out there.

Take care,
Matt

hatfield954~

Read this post:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/farewell-my-friend-70187/

I'm in the same boat as you, and quite frankly, I've had a few tough months. My only saving grace is that the day before Phil passed away, he made it a point to tell me to "go chase those big Bulls". We had an Elk hunt planned for this year, and then onto Alaska again. He gave me his custom rifle, and a few other items. I know he will be by my side, and I'm forcing myself to keep my promise to my best friend...

You should remember the good times you two had, and press on because he would have wanted you to. You'll find solice in the woods with him...

I lost a hunting partner last year, he was not my only hunting partner though. My wife is also my hunting partner and together, along with his son, we scattered his ashes last fall on a location that he had chosen. We miss him but in a way he is with us still.

Gus

About 5 years ago. My hunting buddy was killed in a hunting accident. He was hunting a tract of land when a 12 yo boy and his grandpaw came by on a 4wheeler. The grandpaw saw him move and told the boy there was a deer. Doug was wearing orange on his hat and vest. He was shot at 42 yards by a boy with a scoped 223.

There isn't a time when I'm in the woods that I don't think of him. We shared a lot of good times hunting and fishing. He was more my brother than brother in law. Many people think I'm crazy for going out after that happened, but I think he'd want me to continue. It's part of our blood. I'll set in the woods recalling all our god times in my mind. Each time I go in the woods I say a little prayer and ask him to watch over me. It also never gets any easier thinking about it.

It's hard to go back, but I'm glad I did. One day I hope to teach my nephew how to hunt and fish.

You just have to remember the times you both had hunting both good and not so good. Dedicate this years hunt to him and enjoy the time you had together.

My best hunting buddy died too, my Dad. One year after he retired he was dead with cancer. I miss him dearly. Now I try to spend every hunt I can with my son.

GOD bless my father, Ross M Jorgensen.

I'm sorry for all of you that have lost a hunting partner, finding a hunting partner is like finding that perfect women.I grew up hunting alone, my dad didn't have time, when I raised my only son we hunted everything and traveled so he could see what my passion is. However he found his passion in racing and now makes his living in Nascar. In 8 weeks I leave on a brown bear hunt alone, which Im looking forward to, Charlotte NC is a long ways from Iowa,my consolation is that we talk almost daily.To have a hunting partner and to loose is devastating, but remember this, we only live once and its usually pretty easy to find a positive aspect in something we love to do, keep the faith, things happen when we least expect them.
Jeff~

I am sure your friend would have wanted you to keep enjoying hunting. Just remember he isn't really gone, he still right there with you !:) Hope you get to feeling better about things. Take care, Chris

I hate it when that happens... Man I hate it! It's sin what got us in this mess.
Hang in there friend, you'll never get over it but soon you'll feel like he's still here
and that you'll see him at any time. Our loved ones are always closer than
what we think...

Sorry for your lost. I think your hunting buddy would love for you to go out and enjoy the same hunting grounds you use to share with ... and pass it on to the next generation. God bless!

Ed

I want to thank all of you for your replies. Reading your responses has drawn a picture that a couple of you have even gone through a similiar situation but worse. Especially CSTILT, man that should have never happened like that. That one would have burned for a while. I am sure time and healing will decide it all for me. Thanks everyone.

I know the loss verry well, He said go chase the Bulls..that was the last thing he asked of you.
As a Hunter and friend, get his rifle if you can and do as he asked..His energy will always be with you..let peace be in your heart and his memory alway be at your side.
I know what its like to have this loss, be strong always you will be with him again.
never forget him, talk to his family and claim him as your Brother.

Jesus be with you always.

Keith Sage.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.