Hunting load development in the heat

As far as external and terminal ballistics yes, it doesn't make that huge a difference. Internal ballistics Can be another story. I think it's best for op to keep doing what he's doing. Work up max loads in the hottest conditions you'll work with. No nasty surprises later. Not that a big temp jump would make a round dangerous but I have personally experienced hot loads in my 270 with Rl22 (when I was a rookie at this) that functioned flawlessly with no pressure signs worked up in January (between -20 and -35 celcius, Saskatchewan) make the same rifles bolt very sticky indeed in June (generally between +20 and +30 celcius). I know where I live sees way bigger temperature variations than most places but it applies all around - so to the OP...just keep doing what you're doing. Better to find the limit in the heat than in the cold.
RL22 is in a section of the library all by its self, it's awesome some but she's dangerously touchy with temp changes

That's what I end up doing half the time but it's never on purpose. Sometimes a fella doesn't realize how accidentally brilliant they are 🤪. Especially when he accidentally sends his ammunition through the washing machine along with his wallet...
I have 22 shells all over the da@$ place like that. Dresser, car ash tray,arm rest, top of credenza. Amazed my wife let's me stay in the house.

I have 22 shells all over the da@$ place like that. Dresser, car ash tray,arm rest, top of credenza. Amazed my wife let's me stay in the house.
Me too. Getting better. My wife has also had no beef with it...she just throws those little bullets out when she finds them laying around! And funds that are found in the wash become her personal spending money, a thank you for doing the laundry that day. I can't say either policy is unfair I suppose 😬

Me too. Getting better. My wife has also had no beef with it...she just throws those little bullets out when she finds them laying around! And funds that are found in the wash become her personal spending money, a thank you for doing the laundry that day. I can't say either policy is unfair I suppose 😬
For sure.

I have several times and you would be surprised how quickly a round makes its way to the chamber. These are black bears not brown in which case I would change tactics to accommodate the real, as opposed to imagined threat. I rarely (never) encounter radicals in the field. If I did my tactics would accommodate that as well. Cheers!

Dirtrax, About 10 years ago, a gentleman from Washington while hunting near us thought the same thing! He was mistaken! Lucky he lived, though rather shaken, explaining he couldn't chamber a round fast enough! Bad things can happen pretty fast! memtb

Dirtrax, About 10 years ago, a gentleman from Washington while hunting near us thought the same thing! He was mistaken! Lucky he lived, though rather shaken, explaining he couldn't chamber a round fast enough! Bad things can happen pretty fast! memtb
I've been around bear, but not while hunting. I am not sure I would personally stock this prey. Maybe some day. Still working off cougar traumas. But I'm a flippen wolf.....????? God be with us.

The two biggest issues IMO are barrel and chamber temp. I feel comfortable I can manage ammo temp at a somewhat normal temp. So I focus on keeping barrel/chamber temp down as much as possible. All sorts of methods out there that work. I've used a battery powered aerator pump after 3 rounds to cool barrel chamber down. Sometimes running tubing thru crushed ice water helps lower air temp down for barrel/chamber. Can you actually lower temp to mirror hunting temps? No but you can minimize the increased temp effect which does help evaluate loads at a consistent temp thus data that does have some comparative value.

The real problem shooting in higher ambient temp is how much time it takes to cool barrel/ chamber to a consistent temp. That takes patience and lots of time which translates to less shooting which can be tough to manage mentally. I usually try to shoot only one load when it is hot outside to insure I have the time without pressure to shoot faster for another load.

So if hot outside, slow down, cool down, relax, enjoy the cool down time as a moment to think about the load, life as you shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.