Hunting from a Blind

I shoot from an elevated box blind every fall. Because I use an outfitter, I'm in a different blind every time I hit the stand. Over the years, I have learned to position myself in a way that allows me to use two windows for rests at the same time. I have one arm and the rifle butt resting on one window ledge while the rifle forearm (in my hand) is resting on the sill of another window. The two windows need to be close and at 90 degrees to each other.

It a bit contorted but it works. I shot my whitetail at 501yds last year using the "two window hold".

I use a magnum field pod but it isn't very packable - it is more something you leave in a blind if you are hunting a patterned deer - but it is very stable. This is good for a ground blind.

Sometimes I will use a Primos trigger sticks tripod as a rear rest in a box blind that has a window frame to use as a front rest….Super light and portable but not stable or sturdy, but stable enough for this use.

I have graduated to an Anvil 30 and RRS CF tripod, which is great for either but does take up for room in a box blind - sometimes too much. Is perfect for a ground blind.

Edited to add - I may switch to a bipod version like in the video….the tripod version is much harder to adjust in the blind.

Last edited:
I showed some ranches in south Texas how to shot like that out of a blind years ago. They never thought about using shooting sticks on the backend of the stock and sliding it back and forth to get you elevation adjustment. All of the ranch guides told me years later that it improved their clients shots dramatically. My kids perfected it over the years hunting south.

Awesome video to help folks. Great job!!!

I showed some ranches in south Texas how to shot like that out of a blind years ago. They never thought about using shooting sticks on the backend of the stock and sliding it back and forth to get you elevation adjustment. All of the ranch guides told me years later that it improved their clients shots dramatically. My kids perfected it over the years hunting south.

Awesome video to help folks. Great job!!!
My rear stick has a sharp point on the end that way it will hold to the floor of the blind. I put the Y at back of the stock but the pointy end I put at a angle so I can make fast smooth elevation changes

Never tried that but that would be extremely stable. We need to come up with an adapter head with a dial like wheel on side that can adjusted for minor elevation adjustments ….hint ….hint
like this :) but seated

Attachments

• IMG_3331.jpg
    IMG_3331.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3330.jpg
    IMG_3330.jpg
    922.6 KB · Views: 37
Well, when the front of the rifle is resting on a bag, what other source of vertical adjustment would there be ? other than using something under the butt end.
But that shooting stick wont prevent side to side movement.
And i would like to be there and witness what happens with a first round miss, and the animal runs off aways before another shot opportunity presents itself.
Before you get everything realigned, it could well be off moving again.
Most of these things offer a one shot opportunity, before its necessary to realign everything.
And animals have been known not to wait around for all that.
But then when we have all the right stuff for setting up the shot, and have been properly trained, one shot is all thats required.
Aint that right? lol