Camp Patriot Brings A Blind Vet Hunting

kocoa88

On Sept 5th 2011 Camp Patriot gave a blind / amputee vet a chance to hunt elk in UT. R&K outfitters provided the free chase hunting opportunity and it was all captured on film by the Sovereign Sportsman Show.

I was only too happy to be a part of this hunt and aid Matt Slaydon in the first time hunt. Prior to taking the elk we had a chance to take Matt to the range and get the rifle set up for his hunt. Matt was hitting steel with great accuracy out to 600 yards.

Matt and I made up the shooter spotter team and Eric Richey (Sovereign Sportsman Host) ran the technical end of the crew so we could view what was in the scope in order to aid lining up the shot for Matt.

I've never been more excited after taking game even for myself!

For more information on the hunt and the up-coming show check out the links below.

Home - Welcome to Camp Patriot.org
Sovereign Sportsman Network - Hunting and Fishing Television, Marketing & Media
http://www.connect.facebook.com/not...t-elk-hunt-2011-breaking-news/256056624428191

Last edited:
On Sept 5th 2011 Camp Patriot gave a blind / amputee vet a chance to hunt elk in UT. R&K outfitters provided the free chase hunting opportunity and it was all captured on film by the Sovereign Sportsman Show.

I was only too happy to be a part of this hunt and aid Matt Slaydon in the first time hunt. Prior to taking the elk we had a chance to take Matt to the range and get the rifle set up for his hunt. Matt was hitting steel with great accuracy out to 600 yards.

Matt and I made up the shooter spotter team and Eric Richey (Sovereign Sportsman Host) ran the technical end of the crew so we could view what was in the scope in order to aid lining up the shot for Matt.

For more information on the hunt and the up-coming show check out the links below.

Good on them!

Being a disabled vet myself our wounded heroes have an extra special place in my heart. Every year since 9-11 I have tried to take at least one group of DAV's from the WOT on a hunt.

For those of you who have the ability to do the same I strongly encourage you to do so. You will never be more appreciated and I promise you those guys and gals will never forget a moment.

For those of you who cannot consider donating what you can to such worthy organizations.

Last edited:

Boy this is some great stuff'…, for some very special people; our wounded warrior's. I've known of the organization for quite sometime and the people that run it. These folks at Camp Patriot work tirelessly to help our veterans in anyway they can... hunting and fishing and the out doors being their forte.

This Elk hunt with a wounded warrior, who lost his sight and arm {EOD}, is just one example of how hard they work and successful they are in providing a quality experience for our Vet's.

The ability to get this Vet onto a nice {I mean nice} bull Elk; and pull off the shot without he's sight is amazing…. This is no little feat; it takes an act of skill, endurance, imagination and strength to achieve it…. this wasn't a canned hunt; it was "fair chase" all the way in pursuing the bull and taking it at a very respectable distance...

I know most the people on the hunt; Kocoa88 I've shared range time with before. If any could bring this wounded warrior {no sight} onto an Elk and provide the expertise and experience to allow this shot to be made; it would be him. Few other fellow Snipers I've worked with could pull this off including my self. These folks at Camp Patriot are tenacious in wanting to proved our wounded Vet's with the best experience they can… that's why they bring in only qualified highly experienced personnel, like Kocoa88 who've been where they {our Vet's} have came from'…, for their trips. As Wild Rose said; "Good On Them"…. Camp Patriot, Kocoa88 and all the folks who make these event's happen.

By the way; if you can step up to the plate and help these veterans, contact Camp Patriot… ruck-up and give something'..., time, money, equipment... it all help's.

God Bless all of them.

PS; Camp Patriot….. Micah… You da Man!

Last edited:
Boy this is some great stuff'…, for some very special people; our wounded warrior's. I've known of the organization for quite sometime and the people that run it. These folks at Camp Patriot work tirelessly to help our veterans in anyway they can... hunting and fishing and the out doors being their forte.

This Elk hunt with a wounded warrior, who lost his sight and arm {EOD}, is just one example of how hard they work and successful they are in pervading a quality experience for our Vet's.

The ability to get this Vet onto a nice {I mean nice} bull Elk; and pull off the shot without he's sight is amazing…. This is no little feat; it takes an act of skill, endurance, imagination and strength to achieve it…. this wasn't a canned hunt; it was "fair chase" all the way in pursuing the bull and taking it at a very respectable distance...

I know most the people on the hunt; Kocoa88 I've shared range time with before. If any could bring this wounded warrior {no sight} onto an Elk and provide the expertise and experience to allow this shot to be made; it would be him. Few other fellow Snipers I've worked with could pull this off including my self. These folks at Camp Patriot are tenacious in wanting to proved our wounded Vet's with the best experience they can… that's why they bring in only qualified highly experienced personnel, like Kcoca88 who've been where they {our Vet's} have came from'…, for their trips. As Wild Rose said; "Good On Them"…. Camp Patriot, Kococa88 and all the folks who make these event's happen.

By the way; if you can step up to the plate and help these veterans, contact Camp Patriot… ruck-up and give something'..., time, money, equipment... it all help's.

God Bless all of them.

PS; Camp Patriot….. Micah… You da Man!

I completely agree. This is a great organization run by a great guy (Micah). He helped me carry out my elk last year and had only met him the night before (officially). He has a great heart and love for helping veterans.

Corey

Here is a photo just after the shot.

Attachments

• IMG00341-20110905-1751.jpg
    IMG00341-20110905-1751.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 122
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.