Hunting around wildfires

Thanks for sharing the video. This is useful intel and not exactly what I thought would happen. It's only 1 study but is a little eye opening. I figured the animals would turn and run as far as they could until they were out of the smoke but that doesn't seem to be the case here

I was surprised as well when I saw this. I figured the same as you, they would bail out and go far far away.

In Colorado last year, there were many videos of deer and elk running across the highways near the fires so there must be some population that leaves, but maybe it's within their normal migration corridor, not sure. But it seems they don't stray too far from their comfort area.

I'm leaving here on 9/16 for a hunt in X12. I've hunted D14, D16,D19,D12,D7,X10,X8,X9B,
X9A and X12 a couple other times. X12 my fave. I hunted D14 for 45 years ! Last year drew X12 but ALL Nat. Forest's were closed cause of fires. They actually refunded my tag $. Not Lic. Though . I think that set a president because state law says no refunds on deer tags. I could of hunted BLM/Bodie State Park but didn't want to be limited to it. If they close Nat. Forest in X12 before I go, I'm going anyway and hunt BLM. I'm not going through all that cr@p again. $300 for a non res. Deer tag. $180 for license. Only doing that once ! I shot my Ca. Bighorn and Buck Lope. Still have some lope points built back up but there's plenty lope here. I still have max elk points in Ca. but I think they give only one non res tag. I'm not paying their insane tag fee anyway. Wanted to get a Tule elk but never drew. Anyway I'll spend half my trip visiting family and friends also. Can't wait to get back in the Sierra's. They always made me feel I was out of state. Lol

I'm leaving here on 9/16 for a hunt in X12. I've hunted D14, D16,D19,D12,D7,X10,X8,X9B,
X9A and X12 a couple other times. X12 my fave. I hunted D14 for 45 years ! Last year drew X12 but ALL Nat. Forest's were closed cause of fires. They actually refunded my tag $. Not Lic. Though . I think that set a president because state law says no refunds on deer tags. I could of hunted BLM/Bodie State Park but didn't want to be limited to it. If they close Nat. Forest in X12 before I go, I'm going anyway and hunt BLM. I'm not going through all that cr@p again. $300 for a non res. Deer tag. $180 for license. Only doing that once ! I shot my Ca. Bighorn and Buck Lope. Still have some lope points built back up but there's plenty lope here. I still have max elk points in Ca. but I think they give only one non res tag. I'm not paying their insane tag fee anyway. Wanted to get a Tule elk but never drew. Anyway I'll spend half my trip visiting family and friends also. Can't wait to get back in the Sierra's. They always made me feel I was out of state. Lol
Good for you on all the X zones hunts. I am sure you have been putting in for years to get those hunts. I am sort of starting from scratch. I had 5 points about 5 years ago and then my buddies decided to go hunt C zones. When I put C on my application as 1st choice it was the first year they made C zone part of the lottery. Well I got my C zone tag and they took all my points even though it is basically an over the counter tag. It was my bad for failing to recognize that but that doesnt make it any easier to get my points back. I have 5 points now and been going back and forth between X8 and X12. I have not been to X12 except to fish the Walker so if I ever draw it I will really have to start doing some homework

Good for you on all the X zones hunts. I am sure you have been putting in for years to get those hunts. I am sort of starting from scratch. I had 5 points about 5 years ago and then my buddies decided to go hunt C zones. When I put C on my application as 1st choice it was the first year they made C zone part of the lottery. Well I got my C zone tag and they took all my points even though it is basically an over the counter tag. It was my bad for failing to recognize that but that doesnt make it any easier to get my points back. I have 5 points now and been going back and forth between X8 and X12. I have not been to X12 except to fish the Walker so if I ever draw it I will really have to start doing some homework
That sucks losing points on C. Last year I drew X12 with 6 pts. They gave me back my points also and gave my a point for that year . So I knew I'd draw with 7 this year. I like X12 and X9A best. If you draw X12 I'll help you if I can.

I've seen deer go back into a fresh burn area edge and roll around in the ashes. Always thought they might be trying to rid themselves of some ticks.

I used to work rehab after fires to try to stop the erosion. The Forest Service generally uses helicopters to seed the burns as soon after the fire as they can. I was surprised by the amount of green I'd see on the ground 3 or 4 weeks after a fire. The fires I worked skipped over the wet areas, which left little oases (plural of oasis) in many of the canyon bottoms. Here in NM, we've had a pretty good monsoon season, and the vegetation is doing very well.

I know this is Colorado based and elk, but this came out last year after the horrendous fire season in CO. May help shed a little light. Was interesting to watch and seems to fit the discussion. Colorado did close hunting in some of these areas last fall due to the fires.

I was actually on that fire last year with a dozer. Saw many elk and deer, didnt seem that concerned about the fire

BUT...wait for it... your chances of seeing that 29 inch spike will double if you make it to the top of FarFar away Peak carrying a full pack, wearing brand new boots, and with a 13 and a half pound mega magnum you have shot 5 rounds in!!!!
Come on man . I've shot at least 10 rounds through it !
And I'd only shoot it if it were 30 inches.

Recent Posts