Blacktail hunting

California B zone became a "restricted" draw in 2018. From what I heard, a lot of enviros are buying the tags to restrict the number available to hunters. California has a lot of "wilderness" area, good for backpack hunting and no crowds.

Non-residents are limited to 5% of draw deer tags in Oregon, which is potentially reduced further because guides can take some. As others have said, if you're after blacktail you can purchase an over-the-counter tag for Western Oregon.

California's B units (NW part of state where blacktail are located) are essentially an over-the-counter tag also, though technically can reach sales limits. If you participate in the draw and select this tag, it's 100%.

You can also come hunt the non draw high hunt in wa stay west of the Pacific crest trail maybe the henry m jackson or olympic wilderness areas. 10 day hunt rough country but nowhere as beatific I've ever seen

These are all really good ideas. I need to sit at the computer and look at draw odds and success rates. I know it's a much more difficult hunt than Kodiak in terms of tagging out. I am not a trophy hunter, just want to try something a little different than what's available in KS.

I hunt the alsea and stott mtn units. Central Oregon coast. Decent hunting there. If you're looking for trophy class bucks, head to southern Oregon around the Medford/Grant's Pass area. Nonresident is an over the counter tag/license. Unfortunately Oregon is not a cheap tag for nonresidents.......

Gotta have weather on yoir side or you might mistake your trip...
Fire danger has a lot of lands locked up til good rains have hit...
Public lands are very brushed in....and a lot of country locked behind gates and limited access....plan diligently....
20170801_075937.jpg
Late season archery southern Oregon cascades...148+....30 years ago......now there's wolves eating the deer....

I see a lot of "trophy's" in the 140 and up class. The Sitka black tail we hunted a trophy was much smaller than that. Are these species in the NW much similar to white tails in size?

Sitka can get decent antlers..but generally have bigger bodies than mainland blktl.....
140" blktl is big.....bigger yet is a really big buck....saw pictures of a couple bucks that are city dwellers in coosbay Oregon......friggin huge nontypicals.....being pushed out of the woods by predators....

I live on the Oregon coast, and hunt blacktails religiously. I spend 20+ days a year during the season hunting, and A LOT of time throughout the year scouting and looking for deer. IF you want to come to Oregon to hunt blacktails, be prepared to eat your tag.
your best chance will be in southern Oregon.
its an over the counter tag for everyone.
a 3 1/2 year old deer will NOT be 120" on the central coast, anyone who thinks that is delusional at best. ive seen 1, MAYBE 2 deer that break 120" in the last 15 years. and I pass up A LOT of deer searching for good buck.
what your wanting to shoot is a big bodied mature deer, and don't worry about inches of horn.
I saw and passes over 20 bucks a year for several years searching for a giant, they are just very few and far between.
now if you head to southern Oregon, that's another story.

i am wanting to head way west and shoot another blacktail deer. Obviously I am looking into the Washington, Oregon, northern CA areas. I am hoping to get into a DIY situation with decent to good odds. My only experience with blacktails was this past fall on Kodiak. Has anyone else done a hunt like this? What did you learn about the different states and their tag systems? I am open to any and all information. Looking to go 2020
tagging in

When I was a kid, we lived in west central Washington near the coast. For our hunting, we were lucky to see anything with antlers. A few people we knew would get 4 pointers well off the beaten path. Well off the beaten path is my advice since road hunting is prominent because of the undergrowth.

Just so you know, deer tag in WA is for any species, Mule, Blacktail, or Whitetail. Not sure about the others western states. IF you want timber company access you will need a permit or lease for some of them, $250+ each. Some timber companies don't charge for access but you may be limited to walk in only. The Wilderness High buck hunt in September would be a good one to try as mentioned before.

i am wanting to head way west and shoot another blacktail deer. Obviously I am looking into the Washington, Oregon, northern CA areas. I am hoping to get into a DIY situation with decent to good odds. My only experience with blacktails was this past fall on Kodiak. Has anyone else done a hunt like this? What did you learn about the different states and their tag systems? I am open to any and all information. Looking to go 2020
I would recommend the high cascades also. Used to hunt the Glacier Peak wilderness areas. Plenty of long shots. We were 5k-6k in elevation. I've gotten black bear, blacktail and mountain goat there. You can either hike in, about 15 miles, or horseback. Plenty of guides will take you in and come back and pick you up. Always went up the Suiattle river trail out of Darrington. Great hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.