Montana hunting

Backcountry_IDN

Now, before I commit. I have a buddy that really wants to hunt montana this upcoming season. He said he would take care of my tag and license fee if I went with him. But he doesnt know where to go, I don't really either. I'm not looking for exact coordinates. Mostly looking at what areas are good.

Still unsure if I'll take up his offer.

Thanks guys.

https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpPub/planahunt
Wish I had friends like yours. After you find the areas you like google earth the areas and look for the funnels and bedding areas etc etc. This is the fun part of planning the trip asking for someone else's spots takes some of the pride out of it for me.
Good luck and enjoy every second of it.
I do a prognostication service for offshore fishing. Because you cannot see them it's a bit harder but it is about looking for areas that should concentrate your quarry. Find favored food sources water and bedding then hope nobody else is there.

I usually start picking a new place to hunt by looking for the nastiest place I can find to get to. Then see if it has food and water.

You could always get lucky and shoot one next to the road but more often than not killing something tends to hurt.

The trail system can be extremely confusing. They have specific trails/roads/4 wheeler trails that will be open one week and then closed for a rifle season and open for the archery season. I know a lot of people say it's very confusing. And also frustrating when the area you scored and planned to hunt is closed off for the season your hunting.

The trail system can be extremely confusing. They have specific trails/roads/4 wheeler trails that will be open one week and then closed for a rifle season and open for the archery season. I know a lot of people say it's very confusing. And also frustrating when the area you scored and planned to hunt is closed off for the season your hunting.

I'll text you tomorrow. Merry christmas man!

Some area's you will need to draw a mule deer tag in order to hunt them, others just a general tag and you can hunt whitetail or mule deer. Montana's rifle season runs till the Sunday after Thanksgiving and usually starts in the last two weeks of October. Lots of opportunity but be ready to hoof it. There could be snow or it could be like the 2018 season and have snow for literally 2 weeks and its 50 degrees the rest of the season. Be prepared for either or.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.