Howa 1500 vs Bergara B14 for 300 PRC?

jb1023

I'm contemplating a 300 PRC and kind of looking at these two. I have a Howa 1500 SA so I know how it feels, solid but not Tikka smooth, but I've never handled a Bergara. I'm curious if one is "smoother" than the other? The Bergara HMR Wilderness and the Howa TSPX both look like quality entry level rifles, similar category to the RPR. Both use AICS mags, which is one question I have but that is for another thread. Another option is to use a Howa barreled action and put it in a MDT chassis or similar. I don't see where I could buy a Bergara barreled action so to go that route would add $4-500 over the Howa. I figure a full custom metal option will be a minimum of $1k over the Howa barreled action route.

Guess my primary question is, how does the Bergara B-14 action compare to the Howa 1500 action? If an RPR is head and shoulders above both then I guess I would like to hear that too. But leaning on these two as the RPR is about $500 more.

I have never been that impressed by the Howa 1500 action, but admittedly it has been a while since I played with one. The Bergara B14 is pretty smooth for a factory rifle, it locks up like a Remington 700 with the two locking lugs but the body of the bolt is chromed like a Tikka so you kind of get a mix of both worlds. If I had to pick between the two you mentioned, I would go with the Bergara. If you want a detachable magazine then I would go for the HMR, throw on some glass and perhaps a better brake and be done with it. This would probably be a lighter option than an MDT chassis, depending on which one you are looking at.

If you are wanting to go with an MDT or other chassis, you could get a Bergara Ridge or something with a tupperware stock but the barrel profile you want. Ditch the stock on ebay for $40, and sell the bottom metal on here.

The RPR is head and shoulders above nothing. Ignore its existence unless you have to have fake AR ergonomics, like cheap casting, and want to pay extra money for a glorified Ruger American action.

I have never owned a Howa, held one at Academy and was not impressed, I do own a Bergara B14 HMR and like it better and in my opinion, nothing better as a Factory rifle. I would go Bergara, mine is very accurate, the B14 HMR, B14 Wilderness, B14 Pro or Ridgeback, the best prices I have found are at TSS Warehouse, take a look.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.