how to replace a stock?

I SHOOT STUFF

Here's a beginner's question. I'd like to have a nice stock for my "ugly" savage rifle.

Are all the bolt holes in a standard location for all stocks? Or do I have to get one specifically set up for Savage rifles? I want the barrel to remain free floating, but want a solid, heavy stock.

It would also be nice if I could install it my self.

Any help appreciated.

I Shoot Stuff, Yes, you need a stock built for your Savage. Synthetic, try McMillian. Wood, try Boyd's. You will probably need to finish bedding, etc. with them, but all inletting, etc. will be done. Both companies also make a finished stock that need almost nothing done to them I believe. Look on the web and you should find their sites with pricing, etc. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Being a Savage owner, I don't think you can go wrong with a Stockade Gunstock. Kevin does a hell of a job making it to your exact needs including,LOP, recoil reducing requirements, color, texture. I'd try there for a Savage. Kevin is a straight shooter. You can see them at Lock Stock and Barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.