How to measure shoulder bump without rcbs precision mic?

Whidden is the only dies to come with the bump measuring tool and instructions that are correct for full length sizing.
Shep

Howdy,

I use an rcbs precision mic setting my FL die for .30-06
Contemplating getting into a caliber that rcbs does not make a precision mic for
how do I adjust the die to only bump
.001?
Are there other tools out there?
thanks
A Redding( caliber specific ) Body die used in conjunction with the Redding Competition Shell Holders Set ( again caliber specific ) Collets are stepped in -.002" increments so once you find the right amount of shoulder bump after sizing simply chamber your fire formed case until your bolt closes smoothly.
You are where you need to be shoulder bump wise for this one particular rifle and cartridge.
The beauty of using the Redding body die/shell holder combination is once you have established the correct shoulder bump through trail and error you will never need to make another FL resizing die adjustment for this particular firearm again just use the numbered shell holder and body die.
The rub is You never mentioned what caliber you are contemplating loading for.
Last: Hopefully Redding makes a body die in this caliber
Without knowing your caliber I would assume this would not work using just the stepped shell holder set and a regular FL resizing die, as the Redding Body Die is designed to place tension on your brass shell cases shoulder area only.
OBTW REDDING CAN AND WILL MAKE A CUSTOM BODY DIE FOR YOU .
NEGATIVELY THE PRICE MAY SHOCK YOU SO SIT DOWN BEFORE ASKING !
Food For Thought

Last edited:
A Redding( caliber specific ) Body die used in conjunction with the Redding Competition Shell Holders Set ( again caliber specific ) Collets are stepped in -.002" increments so once you find the right amount of shoulder bump after sizing simply chamber your fire formed case until your bolt closes smoothly.
You are where you need to be shoulder bump wise for this one particular rifle and cartridge.
The beauty of using the Redding body die/shell holder combination is once you have established the correct shoulder bump through trail and error you will never need to make another FL resizing die adjustment for this particular firearm again just use the numbered shell holder and body die.
The rub is You never mentioned what caliber you are contemplating loading for.
Last: Hopefully Redding makes a body die in this caliber
Without knowing your caliber I would assume this would not work using just the stepped shell holder set and a regular FL resizing die, as the Redding Body Die is designed to place tension on your brass shell cases shoulder area only.
Food For Thought
Probably Redding
They are one of the only makers of this die set for 33 Nosler

Probably Redding
They are one of the only makers of this die set for 33 Nosler
I love Redding Dies!!! BUT, I always replace the lock ring with Sinclair or Hornady lock rings. The Redding stock lock ring is solid and usees a single set screw. The Sinclair/Hornady style have a separating vertical cut with a horizontal screw across that cut providing more clamping tension to secure the lock ring in place. I started making this switch after a number of times adjusting the solid stock lock ring and then, when removing the die from the press, the lock ring moves, losing the adjustment.

Another aide I use are the Sinclair Reloading Die Shims. They come in varying thicknesses for standard dies ( 7/8"-14 tpi, what a Redding Body die is). Say the closest you can adjust the 14 tpi dies to a .001" bump is .003" , just add a .002" ( or two .001") shim(s) under the lock ring and you are there. As I understand it, they started as automotive engine head valve shims. Maybe you know someone who does that type of work and can get some easily. Using the shims, after I'm certain of my adjustment , I super glue the shim(s) to the under side of the lock ring. (I also make a note to remind myself to check they are there, not gettin any younger.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.