How to measure for and set up FLR shoulder bump?

Jeff Brozovich had a great vid on setting up his dies. It shows how to remove the firing pin, size a case and try it in the rifle. Keep screwing the die down until the bolt will go down with very little resistance. It's a great vid and is how I set my dies up. I use the Hornady comparator and Whidden bump gauges to measure and record the measurement for reference.. Even though he uses the competition shell holder kit, this can all be done with standard dies and shell holders.

Last edited:
the redding competition shell holders are a great help. different brass will sometimes have a different spring back and the next thickness shell holder might give the desired shoulder bump without moving your sizing die.

the redding competition shell holders are a great help. different brass will sometimes have a different spring back and the next thickness shell holder might give the desired shoulder bump without moving your sizing die.
I agree, I have not found one negative aspect, using the comp shell holders. That's the main reason I only seat with my CO-AX and set up a RockChucker for sizing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.