how to accurize K98 8MM

N0LHN

I am new to the site but did search before postiong. I have a DOU 1945 8mm k98 that I would like to get as much out of as possible. It has a mirror bright bore. I want to leave it chambered in 8mm Mauser. What should I tell the gunsmith to do to it?

I have a k98 german mauser in 8mm. i put it in a hogue allumn. chassis, bedded it with jb weld (action and first 3 " of the barrel), gave it a timney trigger, loaded it with 200 grain smk and 50 grains imr 4350 (use only in true 8mm not the 7.8 version) it shoots 1/2 moa to 900 meters!gun)

the 200 smk is the closest bullet to the original bullet the germans designed it to shoot

NOHLN, If it's original military configuration, it's worth much more unaltered. Another good reason to not alter it (or shoot it), is that even though the DOU was made in Czechoslovakia, not Germany, all the late war guns were suspect. By 1945 they were "last ditch". I recommend keeping it as a collection piece, but would get something else to shoot. The early war KAR 98 K's up through 1943 are excellent rifles, and one that has already been "sporterized" would be a great candidate for some spiffing up.

Around here, a nice original all matching KAR will bring from $800 up, but a sporterized version will be lucky to bring $200.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.