How Should I Have the Range Set Up?

scsims

I'm planning a trip to gun range next week to get he dope worked out on my new Edge. As well as collect better data on 3 other guns I have. This will be my first time doing this at a place that I can have the club set up the targets for me and have it ready for when I arrive. Usually I shoot on farms where you can only shoot at a few different distances like, 500, 700 and 900.

I have the gun set up out to 300 yards as I have a backyard range set up that I can shoot to that distance. The new range goes out to 1100 yards.

Should I have them place paper and metal targets every 100 yards from 300 to 1100? Or will that be overkill? Would 500, 700, 900, 1000, and 1100 be good enough?

I think every 100 is overkill. Make sure you can shoot at 100, or 300 if that is where you have it set up currently, to make sure that it is on and then a couple at the longer distances like you were talking and you should be good to go.

I'm going to call them today to give them the set up I want. Anymore advice on target type and distances needed to get your drops worked out?

Or just tell me how you do it!

I typically shoot at 2-3 distances or so to verify and confirm drops. Typically this is all you really need if you ask me. Obviously the more you shoot, the easier it is to confirm everything, but if your numbers match up at, say 700 yards and 1,000 yards, you should know your numbers pretty well at that point. After that, I try to avoid wasting too much ammo on paper and try to get out and shoot rocks etc at long range to get a better feel for actual long range hunting shots.

OK, I got it set up, I'm having a paper target set at 300 yards in case I need check at closer ranges.

Then I'm having a metal and 3 paper targets each at 500, 700, 900, 1000, and 1100.

Then paper is for checking dope on 3 different rifles, then metal is just for fun after the dopes are on the money....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.