How much to shorten barrel for suppressor ?

What suppressor??

Agree with 7.62 above, but how I came to the same conclusion is how I choose to set up all of my hunting rigs.

First, what is the minimum barrel length the suppressor manufacturer says is safe for the cartridge you are shooting??

Then, what is the desired velocity for the bullet you are shooting needed to perform at your max intended range.

Now you can determine how much to shorten the barrel.

Hope this helps.

What suppressor??

Agree with 7.62 above, but how I came to the same conclusion is how I choose to set up all of my hunting rigs.

First, what is the minimum barrel length the suppressor manufacturer says is safe for the cartridge you are shooting??

Then, what is the desired velocity for the bullet you are shooting needed to perform at your max intended range.

Now you can determine how much to shorten the barrel.

Hope this helps.
The suppressor is a Nomad LT . Minimum barrel length is 12.5", so that's not an issue.

I run a 7 saum 20" proof on a tikka action for my cheap pack gun. I get 2950 easily and maxed at 3018 with 66 rl-26 with a 162 eld x. I settled on 63.5 at 2875 . I'd go 18" if I had it to do again. I know that's not a 308, but the 308 is probably more efficient in that length.....wish it was shorter.

Just got back from a PD shoot. My son was shooting a 24 inch 223 AI suppressed and my grandson was shooting a 20 inch 223 suppressed. The AI was considerably quieter than the 223. Just wondering if barrel length has any effect on noise?

Just got back from a PD shoot. My son was shooting a 24 inch 223 AI suppressed and my grandson was shooting a 20 inch 223 suppressed. The AI was considerably quieter than the 223. Just wondering if barrel length has any effect on noise?
I think it really depends more on the suppressor, I had a 24" 30 nos and with a Nomad LT it sounded the same as my 19" 300 NMI which is burning about 6 more grains of powder.

16" for sure
The 308 is really efficient in short barrels, the absolute max velocity you'd lose going from 24 to 16" is 200fps.
Run those numbers and you'll see that at 500 yards your 165 sst is still over 1950 fps with 1400 ftlbs..

I live and hunt the Intermountain west and have taken elk close to 1000 yards, my longest barrel is 19".
It's not just the vegetation that you have to consider when hunting with a 9" can on your barrel, it's really more the rifles balance and maneuverability in a variety of terrain and conditions.
Running max loads from Hodgdon you're getting about 2700fps plus a bit....~1750-1800 with that bullet at 500 yards. Now drop this down for the shorter barrel. At sea level. Jack the altitude up over a mile, you might get to those numbers. OP mentioned whitetail and appears to be from Louisiana, so I'd say the less favorable numbers prevail.

Running max loads from Hodgdon you're getting about 2700fps plus a bit....~1750-1800 with that bullet at 500 yards. Now drop this down for the shorter barrel. At sea level. Jack the altitude up over a mile, you might get to those numbers. OP mentioned whitetail and appears to be from Louisiana, so I'd say the less favorable numbers prevail.
The OP stated 2890 fps with his load from his current barrel at 24". If only manages 2600 fps from a 16" barrel he's still 1700 fps and 1000 fpe at 500 yards at sea level. Will that not kill a whitetail deer?

People get very wrapped up in MV and ME. Look at your realistic hunting distance, evaluate your ballistics, and if you've "got enough juice" then go ahead and fire up the chop saw. The only comment I will make is that you should be very cautious of cartridge selection and minimum barrel length for your suppressor with that cartridge.

The OP stated 2890 fps with his load from his current barrel at 24". If only manages 2600 fps from a 16" barrel he's still 1700 fps and 1000 fpe at 500 yards at sea level. Will that not kill a whitetail deer?
Given the manufacturers minimum expansion velocity for that bullet is 1800fps no, I would not consider this a huntable situation. 1000fpe means nothing if the bullet performs like a fmj.

Two of my 308 Wins, one gas, one stick shift. Both cut down to 16.5 suppressed with legacy Surefire FA762SS. The gas gun topped with FLIR PTS536. Running M118 LRs at right around 2500. You can do the ballistics with the 175 SMKs, the projectiles on the M118 LRs.

Killed hogs with them, the farthest at 300

20220412_235929.jpg

20220401_012121.jpg

Given the manufacturers minimum expansion velocity for that bullet is 1800fps no, I would not consider this a huntable situation. 1000fpe means nothing if the bullet performs like a fmj.
I'm not saying Hornady doesn't state that. However, it isn't stated on their website or in the one reloading manual I have. There is just no standard as to what is acceptable expansion for this bullet. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of the SST still expanding at 1600 fps on the web. I will admit however, the sample size is to small to prove anything definitive. There is no set standard for testing either.

I do not think for one second that an SST magically turns into a FMJ bullet at 1799 fps and below. It'll be up to the OP to decide if he wants to try SST bullets or not at those speeds. It might be time to change bullets, but again that is for the OP to decide.

I guess my main point is; everyone throws out minimum impact velocites, but never states the standard used to come to that conclusion. What is the minimum standard for expansion in the industry? Is it 1, 5 or greater percentage to be considered an expanding bullet? What percent of the time did the bullet reach the minimum acceptable amout of expansion at 1800 fps, and what was the sample size?

Last edited: