How many neck sizes can you get away with?

zoeper

How many times can you neck size .243 win before you have to bump the shoulders?
I am on 5 times now and i can feel resistance when closing the bolt. (but it still goes) I keep thinking this is exactly where you want to be as now the case fits the chamber perfectly - or is there a flaw in my thinking?

After full length sizing, would i have to fire all the cases once before getting back to good acuracy?

Pieter

I bump the shoulder everytime, on my match brass. For my critter guns, I only bump when I feel resistance on the bolt close.

I get about 2 loadings with near max ammo before feeling resistance. Once I feel even the slightest hint of resistance I bump the shoulder. I don't think too many people are buying into the idea that growing brass to the point of feeling resistance helps accuracy. For me it actually seems to hurt it.
From what I understand very few benchresters are shooting ammo that has resistance to bolt closing too.

i've neck sized some of my .243 win brass at least 8 times now lost count.... but it still chambers easily, i use a more mild load. i do this because i want my primer pockets to hold up longer and thus more brass life. my load is rem brass, cci br2 primers, 38.5 gr imr 4350, and 105 Amax in my savage model 11. shoots great out to 850 yards!

i've neck sized some of my .243 win brass at least 8 times now lost count.... but it still chambers easily, i use a more mild load. i do this because i want my primer pockets to hold up longer and thus more brass life. my load is rem brass, cci br2 primers, 38.5 gr imr 4350, and 105 Amax in my savage model 11. shoots great out to 850 yards!

You're touching on something there! I think my loads are on the hot side even though i'm not showing presure signs. Some of my primers are slipping in real easy after only 4 uses.
How do you decide when to toss cases?

What is the max speed you would expect from a 87gr hpbt Hornady from a .243 with a factory 24" barrel? I am exceeding the max book loads without presure signs @3270 f/s (i went up another 3 increments of 0.2 gr without problems)

see i dont like my primers seating really easy like that, i just loaded up some of this brass again, and i think i might only get one more loading out of it. i decide when, when using my lee hand priming tool takes hardly any pressure to get them in, also look at your bolt face and c if there is a black ring on the face if so, the pockets r worn out and gas is getting by so then i'd say the cases r done. i dont know about the velocity of your load though. i dont have a chrono and dont know the speed of my load.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.