How many of you went back (scales)

I went from the redding balance beam to a gempro 250 with no complaints, except it drives me insane when the scale drifts .04 grains. :rolleyes:

curious if any of you guys that are using a high-end digital scale have used it to check the accuracy/drift/repeatabiity of the RCBS chargemaster? Some actual numbers comparing the two would be really cool for the rest of us to see.

i had and used a chargemaster for over a year and it worked well - better than throwing powder but no where near as accurate as individually weighing each load. i sold the cm.

curious if any of you guys that are using a high-end digital scale have used it to check the accuracy/drift/repeatabiity of the RCBS chargemaster? Some actual numbers comparing the two would be really cool for the rest of us to see.
I dont have a Chargemaster but if someone wants to send me one to compare with i wouldnt decline. :D

Did you really mean +/- 0.002 grains? I imagine 2 thousandths (0.002) of a grain of RL25 must be an awfully tiny piece of RL25. Even 2 hundredths (0.02) of a grain of stick powder must be pretty darn tiny.

I sit corrected!! I did mean 2/100ths of a grain (0.02 Grains). if you cut a long r25 grain in 3 pieces you will get about 1/10o0th of a grain.

I did mention that it will seem futile to most reloaders to get this precise. I'm not sure that my run out or my flash hole consistency isn't my bottleneck... I'm being ridicules here of course. I bought a cheap electronic scale ($80 Cabela's) and after that mess, decided that if I was going electronic, I was going to do it right and not mess around anymore. so that is why I have the lab scale now.

I sit corrected!! I did mean 2/100ths of a grain (0.02 Grains). if you cut a long r25 grain in 3 pieces you will get about 1/100th of a grain.

I suspected a typo. I can see 0.02 grains being feasible, based on your description of the weight of one kernel of RL25.

Won't that change the burn rate?

Your question got me thinking. I would have to say it is probably inconsequential. Here is my rationale:

Assuming a 40 gr charge, his one cut kernel to get .02 gr is approximately .05% of the total.

If measuring to 0.02grains is splitting hairs, the burn rate change for that one-third of a kernel, 0.05% of total, is splitting the hair growing on the hair.

I love the concept and attention to detail though! These threads make me feel like the most imprecise hack loader ever!

Your question got me thinking. I would have to say it is probably inconsequential. Here is my rationale:

Assuming a 40 gr charge, his one cut kernel to get .02 gr is approximately .05% of the total.

If measuring to 0.02grains is splitting hairs, the burn rate change for that one-third of a kernel, 0.05% of total, is splitting the hair growing on the hair.

I love the concept and attention to detail though! These threads make me feel like the most imprecise hack loader ever!

LOL. about the hair on the hair!! It is kind of ridicules I know. I am not so sure why I am so anal about the weight, I know that my flash hole deburing technique is probably poor and I don't chamfer my necks the same wither, I do it with a hand tool... just a quark I guess.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts