How many guns are lost in shipment? Here's the story.

HunterLV

USA TODAY: 10/20/2023 He ordered a revolver, but UPS lost it. How many guns go missing in the mail each year?

Per the article above: Across the country, thousands of firearms disappear while in transit every year. According to data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, more than 13,000 thefts occurred in interstate shipments. The greatest proportion of reported theft or loss incidents during that period involved FedEx (39%), UPS (39%), and the U.S. Postal Service (13%). "Only Congress can mandate that gun sellers report missing firearms to the ATF".

There should be accountability starting with the last place it was scanned
No kidding?! How is it possible that they were "lost"?
The label fell off and at the end of the shift, the driver just chucks whatever is left on the floor of his truck into the garbage??

I read on a LRH post about putting some kind of Apple gps tracking device into the package.
After seeing this, Id say thats about mandatory.

No kidding?! How is it possible that they were "lost"?
The label fell off and at the end of the shift, the driver just chucks whatever is left on the floor of his truck into the garbage??

I read on a LRH post about putting some kind of Apple gps tracking device into the package.
After seeing this, Id say thats about mandatory.
Good idea on the GPS, but the person's stealing would take that GPS off of the firearm right after they steal it.
It is not people off of the street stealing the firearms-it is the employees of FedX, UPS, USPS. Packages do not show any marking that it is a "Firearm". BUT the employees know buy the shipping address and also tracking numbers from UPS. To ship UPS you have to have special accounts. General shipping, Firearms Parts, Firearms.

There is a Chain of "Custody" on all these packages with electronic scan. This could be stopped by Prosecuting and Firing these thieves from UPS, USPS, FEDX. Packages

You would not believe the packages "Lost" at USPS. They have special warehouses for packages supposedly that can't be delivered. Then these packages just disappear from these warehouses.

Just take a look at what the Airlines Package Handlers do. Organized groups to steal luggage/packages and also ship Narcotics. It is the same at the shipping companies.

The package handlers tried to steal our rifles when we went to Africa, but we caught them. When we were in Johansburg Airport going through Customs our rifles did not show up. I talked the Custom agent to take us to the "secure" package area. On the way there I was looking through a chain link fence area and saw a truck on a loading dock. Just happen to see our rifle cases being loaded into a box truck. Customs and Security ran over to the truck and sure enough our rifles were in the back.
Almost ruined our trip.

Last edited:
Also, FFL'S know that it's near impossible to get paid for insurance claims on lost firearms. Although carriers are happy to take your money to insure againstoss, they usually will find a way to not pay out.

You'd think the ATF would go after these carriers who have employees that steal firearms but they don't.

At over 13,000 thefts I'm thinking someone from the fbi would maybe look into this since gun violence is supposedly important to them. Maybe after they get the grandma that was walking through the capitol on 1/6 they will find time. 🙄
If you crush illegal gun running and theft that kinda ruins your narrative. Besides, if you target parents at school board meetings and church your chances of getting shot are relatively slim........target thieves and gunrunners, and well.....

I would bet the % lost numbers correspond with #'s shipped--- I think ups ships more than fed-ex and usps

You can no longer ship guns via ups or fed-ex unless you use a registered shiper/account. But you can still ship long guns through usps.

My local ffl only uses usps for all gun shipments, but that's due to the cost.....what is interesting to me is my local ffl has never had any firearm lost in shipping ( some delayed, and some mis-routed)

Anyone here ever had one lost? I wonder who is loosing their firearms in shipping? Airlines are a whole other conversation and problem.

I've only ever had 2 shipments lost.
Both shooting related.
1st was a holster shipped to me through UPS. Was scanned picked up, then just was never scanned again.
2nd was pads for my front rest feet.
Left Pittsburgh (90 miles from me) made it to within 6 miles from me. Turned & went to WV. Then to southern VA.
Since my package didn't arrive on time, I was offered a replacement. Shipped from Missouri this time. Got to me in 2 days.
2weeks later I got an empty packaging envelope with a sticker that the "shipment was damaged".
Nevermind that the envelope was cut open, not torn.
This was USPS.

I would bet the % lost numbers correspond with #'s shipped--- I think ups ships more than fed-ex and usps

You can no longer ship guns via ups or fed-ex unless you use a registered shiper/account. But you can still ship long guns through usps.

My local ffl only uses usps for all gun shipments, but that's due to the cost.....what is interesting to me is my local ffl has never had any firearm lost in shipping ( some delayed, and some mis-routed)

Anyone here ever had one lost? I wonder who is loosing their firearms in shipping? Airlines are a whole other conversation and problem.

Never lost a firearm. Never lost a package from UPS but had some damaged. FedX never lost a package but the drivers just dropped packages off at the end of our drive next to the road.
USPS lost several packages (never got any money from a claim) and our mail and some packages are delivered to other addresses. Spoke to our regular mail carrier and he said that the people that USPS hires don't want to work-just collect a pay check.

I have a UPS Firearm, Firearm Parts, and General Sipping. All three different accounts. Since UPS stopped taking firearms at the UPS Stores we now have to have UPS pick up the firearms at our shop and they charge for the package firearm $20-$40 then a $23 extra pickup charge and a Fuel surcharge. What a rip off. They drive by my place every day and deliver a few times a week, so it is not an extra trip.

Now I was at our local USPS this past week and they told me that they are only shipping firearms if you the shipper has an FFL and the receiver has an FFL. Shipping through USPS is less cost.
I think that the private shippers as well as the government is making it very hard to ship firearms for some reason against us transferring firearms.

Last edited: