How Many Exceed Max Loads Regularly?

Just about everytime I work up a load I exceed max listed load by some margin.

RoyInIdaho: I agree. Accurate, Fast and Consistent. By the way. Got my Case Saver (Primer Pocket Swage) tool in last week and it does a pretty good job.

JohnnyK.

I will have to raise my hand. Both my 7mm Rem Mag and my custom built 300 Wby Mag are over commonly listed loads.

My 7mm loves h4831 and so does the 300 - lots of it.

I like to do my reload development in the summer, figuring chambers will be higher deliberately do to higher ambient temp's. I use a micrometer on EVERY case fired. When I see 0.0005" expansion I stop and reduce the load 1.0 grs. A lot of time best accuracy occurs at or around that 1.0 gr reduction.

The thing to remember when trying to "read primers" is that the hardness of the metal in primers varies from one brand to the next - that is why I use a micrometer and measure the case heads of the brass.

Then there is my Tikka T-3 Lite in 270 Win. EVERYONE loads 60.0 hrs or so of H4831 with 130gr bullets. The Tikka hits a wall at 59.4grs - 60.0grs is to much. The groups at 59.4grs were also max accurracy, muzzle vlocity is 2940 fps. I tried a "tried and true" load that I use in my Rem M700 BDL 270 Win in the Tikka, I had very sticky bolt lift and ugly scraps on the case head where brass flowed back into the ejector hole on the bolt face. This load was totally unacceptable for the Tikka T-3, whereas it was an outstanding load in my Rem M700.

Bottom line, go easy and partner with an experienced reloader and keep you micrometer on hand when testing reloads.

Be very cautious.

I like to do my reload development in the summer, figuring chambers will be higher deliberately do to higher ambient temp's. I use a micrometer on EVERY case fired. When I see 0.0005" expansion I stop and reduce the load 1.0 grs. A lot of time best accuracy occurs at or around that 1.0 gr reduction.

The thing to remember when trying to "read primers" is that the hardness of the metal in primers varies from one brand to the next - that is why I use a micrometer and measure the case heads of the brass.

Be very cautious.

Chopaka81,

Thought you might be interested in the following paper, it talks about case head measurement methods and suitability.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/dbramwell july 19 04.pdf

AJ

Ah gee wizz talk about rainin' on my parade:)

Ya gotta have faster along with accuracy and consistency. All three when working in concert make those long shots much more satisfying. Definition: Long Shot: 875 - 1250 yards.
your right all three when working makes long shots great. What I mean is if folks think I'm going to load in the red or I won't have what it takes to make a long range shot for instance I would rather load on the accuracy side that being high or low I will never sacrafice accuracy for 100 fps . I load for a 300 rum and everytime I loaded on the high side I got poor brass life I stopped that and now I get several more loads out of my brass my load now is 85.5 grains of retumbo 210 berger .318 200 yrd group when i tried the high side that berger recommended my group opened up to 1'' at 200 yrds. So I decided to stick with the low side:)

Max load depends on your case capacity. If you know what your case length and bullet seating depth are, put a round together without a primer and weighit. Then fill the case with water and weigh it again. This will give you you case capacity. I load my rounds between 90 and 95 % capacity. I look for a powder that my case capacity will fall within its stated range. This has worked for me quiet well on many loads. I don't know that the is the best way to choose powder for your loads but it has worked for me and I always know that I am in the stated safe range.

Like most others who have posted, I regularly go beyond the listed max, but do so .5 at a time until I see signs of pressure. But one thing to keep in consideration is the ambient temp when you are load testing. I have had some that shot great at 70F and stuck bolts at 95F. Also, don't leave your cases sitting on your bench baking in the summer sun while you test...can seriously jump the pressure.

I tend to be addicted to speed and willing to sacrifice some accuracy for max velocity. Always chronograph because some times you can reach max velocities for your barrel length and any additional powder just looks cool at night.

Guilty as charged!

I find that quite often, the best loads are above the top end of the range of charges in reloading manuals. Interestingly, I have some reloading manuals of some 40 years ago. Either the powders have gotten faster or the lawyers have prevailed!

I always proceed incrementally with caution examining for pressure signs. However, I have come to realize that when so-called pressure signs show up (Extractor marks, flat or cratered primers, sticky bolt, etc.), I'm way above the maximum load. Here an example to illustrate this point.

When I first put together my 338 Edge, I looked around for reloading data. Being a wildcat, the Edge is not covered in any manuals. I found some loads on the internet, particularly on the defensive Edge site, but most featured the 300 grs SMK. I wanted to used Nosler Accubonds 250grs for long range moose hunting (I don't trust the 300 grs SMK as a hunting bullet for heavy game). I couldn't find any loads with that bullet. So I looked loads for the 338 RUM with the same bullet in Nosler's manual and got a max load of 98grs oh H-1000 with the 250grs AB.

The 338 RUM case has an internal volume equivalent to 110 grs of water according to Quickload. I measured the internal volume of 30 modified 300 RUM Remington cases once fired in my 338 Edge (barrel break in) and got an average of 116.71 grs of H2O or about 6% more than the 338 RUM. So I decided to try a ladder test starting with 94.3 grs of H1000 and ending at 102 grs. in 0.7gr increments. I chronographed all loads on my CED M2. Here's the data and results, along with Quickload estimates for all loads:

Savage 112 BVSS
338 Edge
Shilen Select Match 28" with Defensive Edge Muzzlebrake
H-1000
CCI 250
AB 250grs
OAL: 3.815"
Case capacity: 116.71 grs H2O (ave. 30 cases)
Temperature: 67F

Load........ Test fps......QL (fps)........QL press (PSI)..QL Barrel time (in ms.)

94.3..........2817..........2847...............52, 095..........1.440
95.0..........2872..........2869...............53, 419..........1.430
95.7..........2864..........2890...............54, 779..........1.424
96.4..........2930..........2911...............56, 180..........1.392
97.1..........2917..........2933...............57, 619..........1.376
97.8..........2947..........2954...............59, 101..........1.361
98.5..........2973..........2975...............60, 626..........1.346
99.2..........2977..........2996...............62, 196..........1.331
99.9..........3003..........3017...............63, 811..........1.316
100.6........3035...........3038...............65, 475..........1.301
101.3........3056...........3058...............67, 184..........1.286
102.0........3081...........3079...............68, 955..........1.272

The speeds chronographed for each load are incredibly close to the Quickload estimates which leads me to trust QL's estimated pressure data. The case with 102.0grs of H-1000 looked exactly the same as the 94.3 grs case - no extractor marks, flattened or cratered primer, sticky bolt, etc. Yet I was probably exceeding max pressure by 5,000 psi. I suspect the pressure signs would probably show up above 70,000psi.

Interestingly, my ladder test showed plateaux between 94.3 and 97.1 grs and between 101.3 and 102.0 grs. I subsequently tried two OCW tests which suggest stable loads at 95.0grs and 101.8grs. of H-1000. I've decided to use the higher load for hunting in cool weather and the lower load for practice in the summertime.

Last edited:
Interesting read, that is why I do a 1.0 gr reduction and load development during the summer heat.
That is a good read and I hope all read and heed. So they understand just exactly what it is they are dealing with.

I thought you might appreciate the authors case that Case Head and power ring expansion are not good indicators of pressure.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.