How many days to do a hunt justice?

I'd say as many days as you get. So long as your not spending the whole time stressed out about being in a hurry and not having enough time. That's the worst.
Last year during whitetail season I got exactly one day. And I knew when I left that morning (my birthday) it would be the only day I'd get. I made peace with that and wasn't in a desperate hurry, though I knew I'd shoot the first deer I saw if I saw any. I'm thankful to have gotten one. I don't feel short changed, one day outside and away from the rest of my life is better than none. if things are less busy this year I hope to be out more but if not I'll take whatever I get and try to appreciate it.
Again, the short version is this: being in a rush will ruin the experience, even if you end up with all the time in the world. Kind of like life in general.

have you spent a week on the mtn before? Are you in good enough shape to pull this off, is pretty important, do you have and are you familiar with the gear you'll be using, 5 days rations a sleeping bag and tent with a rifle and clothes is a full back load let alone packing out meat, I'm just hitting some of the points you'll need to address here, but if the answer is yes, tear it up and best of luck to you, MT during hunting season weather can humble the strong, and to be honest you want it chilly for the meat, and if time is short a fresh skiff of snow nightly will sure cut down on the glassing when it comes to locating animals, wife I take it is already on board with this? The war dept can shut things down in a hurry

A friend invited me to go with them on a backpack hunt in SW Montana in 2022. They have done this hunt a few times in the past and usually set aside 10 days away from home. I would love to go, but between my job and young kids there's no way that I could be gone that long.

We have a 15 hour drive to get to the area we would be hunting. My thoughts are that since we are young and dumb, my brother and I could drive through the night to save a couple days on either side of the trip. Would it still be worth making the trip if we only had 5 full hunting days to try and kill an elk?

Thanks for any input and advice!

Driving through the night is a roomy move, think I've done that over a dozen times on both ends of the journey. Totalled out my Silverado by hitting a big Miley buck on hour 16 once. Pulled over slept 3 hours in the camper, woke up, made repairs (bring duct tape) then turned around and drove 16 hours home.
Hit another deer 5 minutes into the next trip only 1 mile from home.

A friend invited me to go with them on a backpack hunt in SW Montana in 2022. They have done this hunt a few times in the past and usually set aside 10 days away from home. I would love to go, but between my job and young kids there's no way that I could be gone that long.

We have a 15 hour drive to get to the area we would be hunting. My thoughts are that since we are young and dumb, my brother and I could drive through the night to save a couple days on either side of the trip. Would it still be worth making the trip if we only had 5 full hunting days to try and kill an elk?

Thanks for any input and advice!
Personally i would drive for two days to only hunt for 1 if i thought the chance was good that i might get an elk but realistically i think 5 day should suffice to hike find sighn and zero in on a herd and still have tim to find another if the first didn't produce an animal that was desirable to you. All that being said you could walk over the first rise and shoot a royal at 30 yards and i dont know the country your hunting

Driving through the night is a roomy move, think I've done that over a dozen times on both ends of the journey. Totalled out my Silverado by hitting a big Miley buck on hour 16 once. Pulled over slept 3 hours in the camper, woke up, made repairs (bring duct tape) then turned around and drove 16 hours home.
Hit another deer 5 minutes into the next trip only 1 mile from home.
So you dont realy need a gun is what your saying haha

Down some rocket fuel, and drive...

IMG_3087.JPG

As long as your friend does 4 or 5 days of scouting before season to figure out how the bulls and the bucks are moving you might get by with 4 or 5 days actual hunting. If it's rut I figure 4 days before opening of season to see where the doe and cows are hangings out then how every much time it takes for the bucks and bulls of the caliber you want to take come into the picture. I get antsey after about the 5 th day of season thinking I might already have passed over the best I was going to see. Usually always see a monster after I have taken the one I thought was the best I can do, If after rut Them you just going to have to hump it not unless your buddy knows where the big boys are hanging out. If you are limited by time just fill the permit with the first opportunity. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

I live in Indiana, I've driven to SW Colorado 2 years in a row, solo, without sleeping. 22-23 hours straight to the trailhead, no detours no stops other than fuel and food. Leaving on Wednesday morning arriving on Thursday, Once I hit the trailhead the boots are strapped on before first light, and I'm on the mountain scouting. I'm usually sitting right around 36-40 hours of being awake on the first day of the trip. Makes for an amazing night of sleep On Thursday night!!

A 15 hour drive broken into shifts is nothing. It's surprising to me how many guys want to stop at a hotel for a full night's sleep. Push yourself a little bit, you will be fine. Drive straight through swapping out and hunt as much as you can.

Put in the miles now. Weighted pack hikes and lots of cardio exercise. Get to the mountains early, at least 2 days to acclimate and scout. Spend your five days hunting. Have a good trip. You wont regret it.