How many days to do a hunt justice?

brandon lamp

A friend invited me to go with them on a backpack hunt in SW Montana in 2022. They have done this hunt a few times in the past and usually set aside 10 days away from home. I would love to go, but between my job and young kids there's no way that I could be gone that long.

We have a 15 hour drive to get to the area we would be hunting. My thoughts are that since we are young and dumb, my brother and I could drive through the night to save a couple days on either side of the trip. Would it still be worth making the trip if we only had 5 full hunting days to try and kill an elk?

Thanks for any input and advice!

A friend invited me to go with them on a backpack hunt in SW Montana in 2022. They have done this hunt a few times in the past and usually set aside 10 days away from home. I would love to go, but between my job and young kids there's no way that I could be gone that long.

We have a 15 hour drive to get to the area we would be hunting. My thoughts are that since we are young and dumb, my brother and I could drive through the night to save a couple days on either side of the trip. Would it still be worth making the trip if we only had 5 full hunting days to try and kill an elk?

Yep, which is what New Mexico only allows for NR hunts.

Run and gun is part of being young.

The more time you add the better the outcome. I learned long ago to add as many days possible. Weather or just a day to relax, and heal up, are always in my plans.

Best trip ever was 3 weeks, did some fishing, enjoyed everything that was available.

It depends on where you are going in SW Montana. I live southwest of Helena in the Helena National Forest and if you are in the right place at the right time 5 days will work but if you haven't gotten your shot within those first five days then you're probably going to need the entire season to get your elk.

The biggest issue is altitude and how or if it will kick your butt. There is no rhyme or reason to who or when it will hit. Even young and full of vinegar you need to be fully aware of altitude sickness especially in run and gun mode. Lots of threads on it here but just want you to be aware of it, know the symptoms and don't mess around with it. It can kill a 21 year old as fast as a 50 year old. You will have no altitude acclimation time which can be really tough hump to get over and be ready and prepared for it. I am not being a Debbie Downer but just a experienced old guy that has been at altitude even when I was 40 and really good shape. Be aware of it, be prepared for it, make the right decisions and ACTIONS to mitigate at lower altitude IF it surfaces and just accept it. I have had to get 2 pals that had to go down FAST over the years from it and it was real close on one of them for serious concerns. He could hardly stay in saddle on way down mountain and was rushed to local clinic for treatment.

Average body takes 2-3 days to acclimate FULLY over 8K no matter of age. How good of shape will determine IF the acclimation process kicks butt or you can get through fine. You are a flat lander in TX so be very much aware of this potential when you hunt.

20 years ago I added 3 days to front end of my hunts at altitude so I could start the hunt good to go. It was extremely tough with family and kids, I know but you are spending a lot of effort, money and time into a hunt so sometimes you have to do the best you can. Really tough to balance life with these types of hunts. Wish you lots of luck!

This is nice page on altitude as a reference.
Guide to Altitude

Prepare to be humbled.

A 15 hour drive broken into shifts is nothing. It's surprising to me how many guys want to stop at a hotel for a full night's sleep. Push yourself a little bit, you will be fine. Drive straight through swapping out and hunt as much as you can.
Shoot, I do 15 hour drives by myself all the time for work. Piece of cake to get up at 3:00am, do a 10-12 hour drive to go hunting, get to the area, scout until dark, then go set up camp, sleep by midnight. And I am 50.

As for the hunt, it can happen in the first 90 minutes, and wham. Trophy animal down.

What Muddyboots said is right on -- altitude can knock you for a loop.

But remember, you're hunting in beautiful country, not just slaying an animal. Take time to enjoy the view, to get photos, and to really immerse yourself in the hunt. If you collect an elk, so much the better. But you're there for the high country experience and the camaraderie. Enjoy it.