HOW LIGHT IS YOUR RIFLE

I'm still the opposite at 53. I get that some want to pack as little as possible and I don't blame them. My choice is in the 11+ range because I want something that handles welll. Again to each his own and I'll probably change my mind in another decade or two Lord willing.
Changed my mind 3 years ago chasing elk and sheep at 9000'+......2-3# makes a big difference.

It would seem to me it would be better to drop 10 to 15 pounds of fat off the old body and keep the extra couple pounds on the rifle. Just saying.

It would seem to me it would be better to drop 10 to 15 pounds of fat off the old body and keep the extra couple pounds on the rifle. Just saying.
True....but I'm 6'-2" and weigh 7# more than when I played HS football.....and I'm 68 years old....so that 2-3 makes a difference at altitude. I live at 1200 feet.

M700 Ti .300 SAUM. Rifle weighs 5 1/5 pounds. Leupold ultra light 3-9 scope. Less than 6 1/2 pounds empty.

So... I'm throwing this out to the heavy rifle users because I don't honestly know because up here in Saskatchewan if I'm taking the heaviest gun (my 30-378) I'm driving to about 300 yards of a coulee (or less) and then walking up to peak my nose over the edge. Or I'm walking out to sit behind a round bale and watch the field at sunset?

How do you guys hunt with these 13 lb etc 28" barreled guns? Are you driving, spotting then get to where you can take a shot?

Do you carry it for 5 miles in a day? More? Less?

Do you carry it in a pack?

Now... the only exception was the gentleman who showed his Sharps. When your carrying something like that... it's a coolness factor that just puts a smile on your face when you carry it.

My two main hunting rifles (6.8 western and 35 Whelen) with scopes and rings are both 9-10lb. Add a bipod and I'm about 10.5lb.

I'm also 225lb so a little extra weight in exchangefor increased shootability is a no-brainer for me. I know some guys like their rifles below 7lb with scopes and rings, but not me.

So... I'm throwing this out to the heavy rifle users because I don't honestly know because up here in Saskatchewan if I'm taking the heaviest gun (my 30-378) I'm driving to about 300 yards of a coulee (or less) and then walking up to peak my nose over the edge. Or I'm walking out to sit behind a round bale and watch the field at sunset?

How do you guys hunt with these 13 lb etc 28" barreled guns? Are you driving, spotting then get to where you can take a shot?

Do you carry it for 5 miles in a day? More? Less?

Do you carry it in a pack?

Now... the only exception was the gentleman who showed his Sharps. When your carrying something like that... it's a coolness factor that just puts a smile on your face when you carry it.
10-12.....sometimes more....and 9000 to 11,000

Uffda that;s high must be out of country eh?

We have some of that where we live in Montana but we sure don't hunt it for anything but perhaps mountain goats and those tags are near impossible to draw.

I have 2 primary hunting rifles:

Longer range
7mm RM with scope and bipod 11 lb and shoots one ragged hole.

Shorter range
308 Carbon setup under 8 lb with Vortex RAZOR light weight…. She shoots 1/2 moa.

If you are looking for a lightweight scope the Vortex Razor LW is an excellent option with great glass.

All I can say is wow!!! I couldn't even think of doing that. I guess (assuming) that the rifle is packed which would help. Good job!!!

So have you thought about ever going to something more lightweight?

I'll ask it this way... guys talk about carbon fiber tent rods, etc etc etc to lighten what they are hauling in. All to save ounces here and there. Is there a particular reason to carry so heavy of a gun? What ranges are you shooting then?