How far out will you kill an elk by yourself?

Now this bull that Erik Ruff photo, distance won't ,be a problem
IMG_0712.JPG

Chainsaw style rope winches are worth their weight in gold! I sold one years ago and still carry the bruises from kicking myself in butt! It was the handiest gas powered tool in barn! Amazing how many different things you come up with to just use it! This will prob cause me to go buy another one!

I now will carry two pack frames and enough game bags to bring the elk out in quarters and the loins, neck meat etc in a fifth bag. Where we hunt in Colorado, I can usually get my Side by Side to within 1/4 mile of the kill site and if I can't pull them out with the Honda, I can cut them up into smaller pieces and can pack them out. Thankfully the weather is cool enough that if I have to leave part or all overnight that the meat will stay good. Our hunting area in Idaho is much tougher and I don't venture more than 1/2 mile from the vehicle anymore and in a lot of cases 1/4 mile. Even then I try to hunt uphill from the vehicle.

Got me to thinking about all this…..boning out an elk removes significant weight. I tried to find my notes but I think it's 60-80 lbs total. Last seasons elk pack for me was the easiest I've ever had and it was still hard on me. It was warm, I was already exhausted chasing this bull, and by the time it was all over I had 8 hours into the process of breaking down and packing out .5. Generally this would be a couple day pack out solo. It's one of the reasons I stopped hunting the back country as hard as I used to, just not worth it anymore solo. Sounds like an old man thing to say and maybe it is just that. So thinking it through, work smarter and not harder, but there is still a lot of harder that has to be done. The more I kick this around for 2024's hunt, I'll be 55, the more my plan and strategy is going to matter. I'm seriously thinking about hunting my old spot again…… it's 4-6 miles back. 10-12 round trip, 1200 foot elevation gain to the summit and hunt the back side.

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

Got me to thinking about all this…..boning out an elk removes significant weight. I tried to find my notes but I think it's 60-80 lbs total. Last seasons elk pack for me was the easiest I've ever had and it was still hard on me. It was warm, I was already exhausted chasing this bull, and by the time it was all over I had 8 hours into the process of breaking down and packing out .5. Generally this would be a couple day pack out solo. It's one of the reasons I stopped hunting the back country as hard as I used to, just not worth it anymore solo. Sounds like an old man thing to say and maybe it is just that. So thinking it through, work smarter and not harder, but there is still a lot of harder that has to be done. The more I kick this around for 2024's hunt, I'll be 55, the more my plan and strategy is going to matter. I'm seriously thinking about hunting my old spot again…… it's 4-6 miles back. 10-12 round trip, 1200 foot elevation gain to the summit and hunt the back side.

View attachment 559810
View attachment 559834
You look pretty fit so I'd say it's a smart call. A friend of a friend almost died out their after breaking his ankle. You probably know the story as it was in Idaho. He spent 2-3 days crawling out.

In either case Brent if you decide to go hunting again either solo or with another hunter I'm pretty sure you'd make the smart call. Besides with some of the new technology like a sat phone or beacon that reduces some risk. You could also alter your risk/ reward criteria and pick where you take a shot verses how hard it would be to pack out. Or back up packers to help with the pack out.

In either case Brent if you decide to go hunting again either solo or with another hunter I'm pretty sure you'd make the smart call. Besides with some of the new technology like a sat phone or beacon that reduces some risk. You could also alter your risk/ reward criteria and pick where you take a shot verses how hard it would be to pack out. Or back up packers to help with the pack out.
I have an inreach satellite device that I use to com with buddies and the boss. If sheet hits the fan I have a way to address it. I hunt solo 99% of the time. Only had 1 elk pack out with a buddy and he was worthless. I am pretty freaking stubborn and not exactly the brightest bulb in the chandelier so I am not too confident in my judgement but I what lack in smarts I make up for in determination. Not a good strategy in the end but better than no strategy I guess. HA HA. One of the biggest challenges of archery season is temperature. Our Septembers are often warm and that means a high potential for meat loss. The sense of urgency becomes overwhelming and there is no time for chillaxing after tagging out. It's usually a full on assault to get the meat out. One thing a guy can do is contact a local outfitter and lock down a pack out fee and process in the event a guy tags out. I have access to horses if I have to go that route too but it depends on if my buddy is guiding or not at the same time. Its very hit or miss so it's not part of my overall plan. I wil say when I have used them, life was much much easier.

IMG_2037.JPG

1 mile or less.
You'd be surprised the guys that would help when you get down to the bottom. But you'll be giving up your hunting spot if hunting public land.
My buddy and I took 4 trips to get out one elk - 6 miles deep. 3 Trips for the elk. 1 Trip for the camping gear.
Would do it again in a heart beat!

I have an inreach satellite device that I use to com with buddies and the boss. If sheet hits the fan I have a way to address it. I hunt solo 99% of the time. Only had 1 elk pack out with a buddy and he was worthless. I am pretty freaking stubborn and not exactly the brightest bulb in the chandelier so I am not too confident in my judgement but I what lack in smarts I make up for in determination. Not a good strategy in the end but better than no strategy I guess. HA HA. One of the biggest challenges of archery season is temperature. Our Septembers are often warm and that means a high potential for meat loss. The sense of urgency becomes overwhelming and there is no time for chillaxing after tagging out. It's usually a full on assault to get the meat out. One thing a guy can do is contact a local outfitter and lock down a pack out fee and process in the event a guy tags out. I have access to horses if I have to go that route too but it depends on if my buddy is guiding or not at the same time. Its very hit or miss so it's not part of my overall plan. I wil say when I have used them, life was much much easier.

View attachment 559850
Perhaps talk to your buddy about getting your own pack out horse & keeping it at his place. Perhaps let him use it when you are not in need of it. As far as feed you would have to work that out also. But in the end it may be a good idea to make it easier on yourself. Just a idea.

Perhaps talk to your buddy about getting your own pack out horse & keeping it at his place. Perhaps let him use it when you are not in need of it. As far as feed you would have to work that out also. But in the end it may be a good idea to make it easier on yourself. Just a idea.
Yeah, I've considered it. I sold all my stuff except tack years ago to simply life. It might be worth it again as I get older and changing the way I do things. Also considered horse property but it's all pro/cons. Love the guy but he's not good on boundaries so I would have to set out some pretty detailed rules on using my horses. I wouldn't be able to use them enough to stay in shape and trained so that means he'd train and use, which means his guides......

Yeah, I've considered it. I sold all my stuff except tack years ago to simply life. It might be worth it again as I get older and changing the way I do things. Also considered horse property but it's all pro/cons. Love the guy but he's not good on boundaries so I would have to set out some pretty detailed rules on using my horses. I wouldn't be able to use them enough to stay in shape and trained so that means he'd train and use, which means his guides......
That was part of my intention as far as letting him use them. Let him or his guides train them.That saves you time & frustration. You will only need the horse a few times a year. And who knows he may not want another horse to deal with. Just thought it was a option. My cousin boarders horses. I know there are always some ups & downs when dealing with other peoples animals. Or when someone else is caring for yours.

Last edited: