Fact or Myth of Moose pushing out Elk?

Seen alot of moose while elk hunting. Saw one last year that was 11x11 w/ 52'' spread, told a guy about it and he got it . I was hunting a nice 6x6 in same area, that I would call more of a moose area. Seen big moose high in middle fork in my younger years, very common, we just called them mountain moose ,since that is where they lived.Saw a nice 8x8 this year and guy told be about one that I want to horn hunt for, Where I elk hunt.

Ive hunted an area that has had moose move in over the last 5 years and each year we see less and less elk. We use to see anywhere from 20 to 500 elk a day with ample hiking. Last year I saw only moose and very few elk.. I don't know why this is as not too much has changed at least that I know of.

Two years ago we saw an elk herd of 50+ at 11500', one cow moose was hanging out with the group and chasing the young bulls around. It was pretty funny.

I have multiple pictures of elk and moose on trail cameras from the same location on the same day. A few years ago I was hunting archery in Colorado in a draw unit and was bugling in a bull elk with a bull moose 40 yards to my left staring at me. I continued to move in on the bull elk and the moose never moved.
So, yes...moose and elk will occupy the same areas!

I have a favorite spot in the Big Horn mountains of Wyoming where I hunt elk. Its an opening where elk come out of the timber to feed on alders and water.

I'd always see moose there all the time, and I always see elk there.

Last fall I watched a Bull, cow, and calf feed while I waited for my elk. Late in the afternoon I shot my cow (elk) dressed it and decided to get it out the next morning.

Early before I got there, another hunter w/a moose tag killed his moose about half way from where I shot and where the elk lay.

If moose push out elk, I haven't seen it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.