How far out will you kill an elk by yourself?

2 of us packed this guy out 5 miles in 2 trips in one day. 😉 ill share photos how after some

Attachments

• IMG_4892.jpeg
    IMG_4892.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 66
At my age and alone? Not sure if I would shoot it even if I could drive up to it.
I'm only 61 (in a week or two) but a bad back and knees that have both had surgery on them preclude me from dragging dead animals (or carrying pieces of said animal) long distances. This has been true for over a decade now. Where I'm hunting isn't mountainous and I can typically drive up to most of my game. I bought a headache rack and with a bit of help from a local welder mounted a 2500 lb quad winch on it. I have a piece of 3/4" (60"x40" plywood in the back of my truck to use as a ramp. Works wonders let me tell you. After building that setup I ended up being the default "critter hauler" with my crew. I've had multiple elk in the back (all mine) and multiple bull moose (a couple mine, a couple belonging to other members of my crew).

If you can drive up to it with a winch setup like that, you can load it alone!

If I'm by myself I won't shoot one after the morning hunt, but if I have all day I can get one out if I don't pack it more than half a mile. I'm 62, three back surgeries, knee surgery, but I'm well enough to get one that far. Packed a cow out by myself a couple years ago around 3/4 of a mile. I cut a quarter off to be on the safe side today lol.

I'm only 61 (in a week or two) but a bad back and knees that have both had surgery on them preclude me from dragging dead animals (or carrying pieces of said animal) long distances. This has been true for over a decade now. Where I'm hunting isn't mountainous and I can typically drive up to most of my game. I bought a headache rack and with a bit of help from a local welder mounted a 2500 lb quad winch on it. I have a piece of 3/4" (60"x40" plywood in the back of my truck to use as a ramp. Works wonders let me tell you. After building that setup I ended up being the default "critter hauler" with my crew. I've had multiple elk in the back (all mine) and multiple bull moose (a couple mine, a couple belonging to other members of my crew).

In Maine all the moose guides have 1000yds of climbing rope, gas powered winches, and a tool box full of pulleys. They said if you can shoot him within 900yds of the road they'll drag him to the truck whole, and can angle him around any obstacle there is.

I have a 2000# pull capstan that can be mounted front or back of my tacoma. with a few snatch blocks and a bit of rope and a sled, I can put a pull on em from a long ways away. I now carry 2000 ft of electricians pull tape wherever I go. Now I'm trying to figure out how to mount it to my Honda pioneer side by side.

Recent Posts