How far out will you kill an elk by yourself?

Everyone needs to experience dragging a buck out of Barbour Wildlife Management Area at least once in your life. It's not what you think. Its flat as a pancake, full of marshland, to full swamps, and thick with saw briars. After you have dragged one for about a hour thinking the road and truck is just a few yards away you realize that you are lost. Then realize you have been dragging it parallel to the road for two miles. Two hundred yards to your left.😟

In my case, within sight of the truck! I've packed elk quarters out of nasty places I couldn't get myself out of today. Old, broken and fat. The trifecta of not shooting anything you can't drive the UTV up to.
Yep I can relate .To old and smart to shoot anything that my 1500 feet of rope and blocks can pull out .The trouble with getting old and years of experience is I'm a way better shooter at long range than years ago ,with much better's equipment .Go figure I can shoot farther than my body wants to retrieve.LOL

Distance didn't matter when I was younger. If it meant filling a tag, I was shooting. Packed horses into the Thorofare on multiple occasions. Those were 20 plus mile pack outs. Packed a bull moose out by myself about a mile from the truck back in the day. I'm Almost 60 now. Shot a cow 1 1/2 miles from the wheeler last month. It was a workout and an all-day effort. Think I still have a few of those pack outs left in me. Tagged this archery bull last Sept. Was by myself. Managed to snake the wheeler to it. Quartered and loaded up everything without any issues.
Elk 2023aaa.jpg

Well, I would pass on any elk in hot weather miles out, elk meat is too precious to let spoil. I usually have horses or a couple of strong backs hunting with me. In snow country it's a lot easier to skid it out with heavy sheet of plastic and rope.

When people say this I always wonder how that's possible. 11 miles is 3-4 trips. If you are packed in, which I assume you were, being 11 miles back, that's another trip assuming my camp is 50ish pounds. If you're day hunting your pack is probably 25ish pounds. Boned out plus the head is 200-240 pounds (raghorn) so add another 25-50 pounds for camp or day camp. So you're talking 55 miles for 3 trips and 66 miles for 4 trips. 33-44 of those miles with 85-100 pounds on your back. I'm not calling anybody a liar because the human body can do awesome things, but I just don't see the logistics of it…

I'd love to hear more about it (weight per load, number of trips, camp as well?). Oh and why you'd shoot a 5 point 11 miles from the road! 😂
It's possible.. I've done it for 20yrs! I work my *** off during the "off" season, I lift, run, climb, hike, backcountry ski, skate ski, bike, do heavy pack hikes for hours... Spartan Races too. I pack in with about a 45-50# pack, my day pack has only necessities at maybe 10lbs?? Don't assume I camp at 11 miles or hike around with 50#'s... I usually camp at about 7 and hunt from there. Debone and take a load to camp, I use an ultralight tarp and put the meat in a stream. Go back until I have all the meat. No head, only skull plate w/ antlers. Get up early to beat the sun and yes, pack 75-80lbs out to the truck and hike back... Sleep and do it again. Last trip is camp... Remember in my post... It's about the mindset, being in shape and nutrition! Bull or cow does not matter... I hunt for clarity and meat!

It's possible.. I've done it for 20yrs! I work my *** off during the "off" season, I lift, run, climb, hike, backcountry ski, skate ski, bike, do heavy pack hikes for hours... Spartan Races too. I pack in with about a 45-50# pack, my day pack has only necessities at maybe 10lbs?? Don't assume I camp at 11 miles or hike around with 50#'s... I usually camp at about 7 and hunt from there. Debone and take a load to camp, I use an ultralight tarp and put the meat in a stream. Go back until I have all the meat. No head, only skull plate w/ antlers. Get up early to beat the sun and yes, pack 75-80lbs out to the truck and hike back... Sleep and do it again. Last trip is camp... Remember in my post... It's about the mindset, being in shape and nutrition! Bull or cow does not matter... I hunt for clarity and meat!
Perfect example about how numbers seem to get construed. Go put 3 liters of water, lunch, kill kit, etc in your pack, strap your bow to it and tell me how you get 10 pounds. I bet it's closer to 25-30.

4 pound pack
6 pound bow
6 pounds of water.

You're half way to 30 pounds without anything else.

I guess it's possible you're packing an elk 60-70 miles. At that point the question becomes WHY!! I've killed my bull in Colorado 8 years in a row, plus a cow most years, plus deer and antelope most years. Now with the family hunting we've killed 10 animals this year. I don't think I've packed those 10 animals combined 20 miles! 😜

Done 3 miles when I was 58 on large bull= 9 m total.That did max me ,but I shuttled it, gives you a break from constant weight on pack.When I was younger 40's I shot a bull moose in 1.5 miles.First trip I thought I was superman and packed a 1/4 and drug one, my calfs cramped and had to call in support.I packed a 1/4 8 miles many times in my life.Id say my range is 3-4, but ill shoot one anywhere, Ive got a tough kid and fit friends/ it goes both ways.Ive packed out 5 bulls some years. My rifle kit is 32# daily, all in, bow more toward 20#

Perfect example about how numbers seem to get construed. Go put 3 liters of water, lunch, kill kit, etc in your pack, strap your bow to it and tell me how you get 10 pounds. I bet it's closer to 25-30.

4 pound pack
6 pound bow
6 pounds of water.

I guess it's possible you're packing an elk 60-70 miles. At that point the question becomes WHY!! I've killed my bull in Colorado 8 years in a row, plus a cow most years, plus deer and antelope most years. Now with the family hunting we've killed 10 animals this year. I don't think I've packed those 10 animals combined 20 miles! 😜
Ha! I am the worst at "over prepared"!
I'm guessing my pack pushes 28-30 lbs on the way in on (even day) hunts, lol.
I carry a full 1st aid kit with Quick Clot, tourniquets, etc. Three knives and ceramic steel (optimistic, lol), three headlamps, a flashlight, spare gloves, etc.

Now throw in my weapon and bino pack and it is scary. I never weighed it all because honestly... I don't want to know. 😖🥴🤣 Then again, my "mountain rifle" goes 10 lbs.

Ha! I am the worst at "over prepared"!
I'm guessing my pack pushes 28-30 lbs on the way in on (even day) hunts, lol.
I carry a full 1st aid kit with Quick Clot, tourniquets, etc. Three knives and ceramic steel (optimistic, lol), three headlamps, a flashlight, spare gloves, etc.

Now throw in my weapon and bino pack and it is scary. I never weighed it all because honestly... I don't want to know. 😖🥴🤣 Then again, my "mountain rifle" goes 10 lbs.
Forgot about the bino harness with the rangefinder! That's another 4 pounds! I am as big of a weight weenie as anybody! But you are right. You don't realize how much that stuff weighs until you put it on the scale. Very similar to guys saying they climbed 2000 feet but when they run the numbers in on X it's closer to 600. Or guys saying they carried 150 pounds, when it was really 90… But definitely felt like 150!

4 pound pack
6 pound bow
6 pounds of water.

Perfect example of someone commenting on something they can't comprehend, and are likely too lazy to attempt... Why would you carry water?? Kill kit?... You mean a knife?? Lunch?? Are you carrying a Turkey?? Why would I strap my bow on??? I'm hunting! You clearly have no clue...You can stick to road hunting and that's ok... I don't question why or how anyone hunt's... You do you!

I hiked in 7 plus and 3000 vert found elk, left 7 more, had a job interview.Back next day in 8 ,up 2500', elk to small, passed off to friend that came in top on horse .Spotted big muley, escaped.Other hunter lit up mountains, saw 7 bulls, shot largest, chased off grizzly hike out 8. Next day ride in, horse lame had hike 6,pack elk out lead horse 8 more.Lets see 44 miles 3 days.Loved my youth, was in my forties then

So we have learned:
We are all young once and we all get old if we are lucky enough. Many of us did or now do carry heavy loads.
Some have never... but they hunt a different species in a different environment.

We are all hunters. None of us are better than the other. Some are a different geometric shape, lol... but we all love the outdoors.

There are literally millions of folks out there that fight to get their next meal or a warm bed or their next medicine yet we here have been blessed to be able to enjoy this beautiful creation and chase the wild creatures that have been provided... and on occasion we are lucky enough to enjoy it on our tables.

How awesome is that?!😁

Perfect example of someone commenting on something they can't comprehend, and are likely too lazy to attempt... Why would you carry water?? Kill kit?... You mean a knife?? Lunch?? Are you carrying a Turkey?? Why would I strap my bow on??? I'm hunting! You clearly have no clue...You can stick to road hunting and that's ok... I don't question why or how anyone hunt's... You do you!
lol yep! I'm clueless! Hahahhahaa

You stated your day pack weighed 10 pounds. That's a lie. Alright, I'll say it. I call ******** on your whole post. I think you're exaggerating to make yourself seem like a badass. No day pack weighs 10 pounds, water and pack weigh that much. No kill kit? No game bags? No headlight? No lunch? No first aid kit? No fire starting supplies? Come one…. Do your kids walk 10 miles to school, uphill both way, in the snow?

Just to give you some context, I've killed my Colorado bull every year since 2014, half bow, half rifle. I've killed 8 cows in the same time. I've killed a buck almost every year and an antelope as well. Myself, daughter and wife have killed 2 elk, 3 deer, and 5 antelope so far this year. I'm not posting to brag, just to prove I might not be quite as clueless as you might hope I am.

lol yep! I'm clueless! Hahahhahaa

You stated your day pack weighed 10 pounds. That's a lie. Alright, I'll say it. I call ******** on your whole post. I think you're exaggerating to make yourself seem like a badass. No day pack weighs 10 pounds, water and pack weigh that much. No kill kit? No game bags? No headlight? No lunch? No first aid kit? No fire starting supplies? Come one…. Do your kids walk 10 miles to school, uphill both way, in the snow?

Just to give you some context, I've killed my Colorado bull every year since 2014, half bow, half rifle. I've killed 8 cows in the same time. I've killed a buck almost every year and an antelope as well. Myself, daughter and wife have killed 2 elk, 3 deer, and 5 antelope so far this year. I'm not posting to brag, just to prove I might not be quite as clueless as you might hope I am.
Does it really matter to either of you?
Really, you don't hunt together so why argue about it. Pride and ego take the fun out of a lot of things.
So what if a guy on here may (or may not be) exaggerating. He is not stopping you from hunting or hurting your chances.

None of us know either of you, so we have to take you at your word. On that same note, it really doesn't matter to us. The big picture is much greater than most of us think of ourselves.

May you have a great rest of your season/year.