how far from the extractor groove does a rifle bullet protrude from the chamber

The Measurement I think you are looking for is the Cartridge overall length. this is taken from the bullet tip to the case head and should be .010 to .030 shorter than the magazine length.

Extractor grove dimensions are set by SAMMI and they measure depth and width plus dimension from case head.

If you are having trouble with extraction the dimension you want will not help you.

J E CUSTOM

Using a factory round, how far should the extractor groove be from the chamber mouth.
I don't know the exact measurement you are looking for and don't know where to look to find them but I can give you some things to consider.

You want as much case inside the chamber as possible. You don't want the case to protrude so far that some of the case web is not inside the chamber. You want a minimum amount of chamfer on the chamber.

On the Remington 700 style bolts I've measured, the distance from the bolt nose to the bolt face is about .150". You will need about .010" clearance between the bolt nose and the barrel.

And remember, I am not a Gunsmith.

Why do you want to know this dimension?

I had a VZ24 action changed to a P14. When I dropped a dummy round into the chamber, it seemed that part of the web area was not in the chamber.

Today my brain was working a bit better, I put engineering blue on the dummy round and chambered it, and it went in right up to the front of the extractor groove, which looks normal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.