How far can I use my .223 Savage one in nine twist to shoot?

FEENIX

I meant no disrespect to you in my post. I'm simply trying to expand the conversation to what might actually be a good loosely held benchmark for most hunters. I can with 223 place with good precision first round hits at 400yards and even 600yards with 75gr bullets. The US Army says max effective range for 5.56 NATO is in the 600yard range. Using 500ftlb would but my max range for 223 at around 300yds with the 55gr bullets I hunt with. If the OP is very proficient with his chosen weapon system I don't think 300yds is out of the question. Conversations about what we each have chosen as our max effective range always seam to get a little heated. I was simply trying to give the OP more information to base his personnel decision of max range on. What might actually be a better benchmark is at what vilosity your chosen bullet reliably opens to cause max hydrolic shock to the surrounding tissue. I sometimes wish bullet manufactures would list this speed as normal info with BC and SD ect..

I never took it that way but you're missing "MY" point, there's a reason I made them bold because it is "MY" self-imposed rule in harvesting game humanely. How others choose to harvest theirs is entirely up to them. I never told the OP to do as I do. Unlike you, I never told the OP which one is a better benchmark.

I am fully aware of 5.56 round and what the military tells us. I spent 20+ year in the military and that is what they arm us. You bet your arse I will take a 600+ yard to kill an enemy.

Thanks to everyone, given that my experience with Deer is a big zero, I'll take all advice on board until I've made enough kills to judge for myself. You are all right in your own way and you all have vastly more expereince with deer than I have. While I am reasonablly proficient with my little .223, I'll stay on the conservative side for a wile....and work on those 69 gr loads ...love it when it all comes together in the end...touch wood(en stock) gun) Cheers and thanks. Happy New Year everyone :cool:

Thanks to everyone, given that my experience with Deer is a big zero, I'll take all advice on board until I've made enough kills to judge for myself. You are all right in your own way and you all have vastly more expereince with deer than I have. While I am reasonablly proficient with my little .223, I'll stay on the conservative side for a wile....and work on those 69 gr loads ...

I commend you for your honest self-assessment. Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Cheers and thanks. Happy New Year everyone :cool:

Likewise, cheers!

I would check your laws down there, In the Uk where I used to live it is illegal to shoot any species of deer (except Muntjac) with a rifle of less than .240 and a muzzle velocity of less the 1,700 foot-pounds.

I think Australia is minimum .270 overall with different regs depending on where you live maybe as small as .243 but I do suggest you check first to keep within the local laws.

I would check your laws down there, In the Uk where I used to live it is illegal to shoot any species of deer (except Muntjac) with a rifle of less than .240 and a muzzle velocity of less the 1,700 foot-pounds.

I think Australia is minimum .270 overall with different regs depending on where you live maybe as small as .243 but I do suggest you check first to keep within the local laws.

Excellent point! Very intetesting ...

Hunting methods - Game Management Authori

https://ssaa.org.au/stories/hunting-aussie-deer.html

ft/lbs limits are generalizations for animals being shot in the vitals. The energy deposited into the animal at such points often result in adequate disruption of target organs and CNS.

For a small caliber where high neck and head shots are more common the ft/lbs theory is out the window, archery is irrelevant. Tons of variables and KE is less applicable.

If you can thread the needle w/ your 223 at 200+ yds and can slip it into a does ear then by all means go for it. Calm day, solid rest, clear shot, I'd take a back of the head/neck shot on a doe all day at 200yds with a 55gr, the 69'r will be just fine.

I totally agree to shot placement, that is the main goal for a clean humane kill, but the law is the law and if you are illegally shooting game then you are not a responsible hunter and if caught will be charged.

I totally agree to shot placement, that is the main goal for a clean humane kill, but the law is the law and if you are illegally shooting game then you are not a responsible hunter and if caught will be charged.

lightbulbIt don't get no simpler than thatlightbulb

Shot placement as a key element was clearly noted.

Cheers!

I have a savage M12 in .223 that I run 75gr a-maxes @2450fps, very mild load. I have shot 2 deer and one 100 lb hog with it from 260-300 yards. Both deer were shot in the lungs and I shot the hog in the spine. The deer were DRT and the hog made it about 20 yards. Both shots on the deer passed all the way through even after hitting a rib on the exit side of one deer.

image.jpg

Thanks for your concerns, in N.S.W. there is no minimum caliber for deer, (should be maybe but there isn't ) my gun licence is not a hunting licence as I am a land holder and I am shooting feral animals for feral animal control for myself and several other local landholders. In the State of Victoria the minimum cal for deer is .270, the entire reason for my original posting was my concern for the welfare of the deer when using a .223. I know it's probably a little under gunned for larger quarry. Some groups recommend a minimum of .243 for smaller species of deer, other larger calibers like .308, or like my friend in Victoria 30/06 for Sambar, It's nice to know younger shooters like yourself take your responsibilities seriously, shooters need to set a high bar otherwise the anti-gun lobby will exploit any shortcomings or failures.

Rules and regulations
Deer hunting regulations

When hunting deer, hunters must not use:

• spotlights, artificial lights (including infrared devices) or electronic devices that enhance vision or hearing
  • sights that project a beam or recorded sounds
  • baits, lures, decoys or live animals (except deer callers and planted crops)
  • an aircraft, watercraft or motor vehicle.
Other special conditions on deer hunting include:

• deer may only be hunted during daylight hours (from half an hour before sunrise up to half an hour after sunset)
  • dogs may only be used to locate, point or flush deer and must not chase the deer. Scent trailing hounds are not permitted to be used in NSW
  • a person hunting alone may use one dog to hunt deer or a group may use up to two dogs to hunt deer.
Cheers

Most guys should start out limiting their range to 100 yards.

At some point, experience hunting, confident shot placement, good load development and bullet selection might stretch the distance to 200 yards.

But if a bigger rifle is available, I would prefer to bring it if shooting past 100 yards.

Thanks begerfan, I am considering buying a larger caliber rifle, possibly .270 or .308, but for now all I have is the .223 hence the original host. I would rarely use a larger caliber as the .223 is more than enough for 95% of the animals I shoot. Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.