How Does the 300 Win and 30 Nos. Compare

Great beginning, always interesting! I have a 300 WBM to re-barrel and am in the process of determining what 300 to go with. I was leaning toward the 300 Norma Mag. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and results.
Renn

Personally and ballistically the 30 Nosler is not worth the trouble, there are better cartridges if you require more velocity. :cool:

Should we just give up then and settle for that mind set? Your statement does not apply to only a 30 Nosler. It applies to every caliber out there. You can always hop them up to a point they destroy their selves, and / or are not as accurate. What we may be seeking here is another option to a 30 cal that is efficient, accurate, and has a great barrel life. Not that other offerings don't meet this criteria, but it could be possible one may be better than the other. At least for specific uses.

We have some initial testing from the 30 Nosler with 212's and 215's at close to sea level. The results need to be defined as more than "Encouraging" Same hole groups with all loads and velocity easily over 3K. I think we should keep tinkering.lightbulb

Jeff

I think there's a parallel here to the quote "the more I practice the better my luck gets". Practice here included exploring something new. Full application. It seems that Broz works hard makes good use of available resources and comes up with a lot of good, compelling solutions. Also, the three grains of powder, the potentially better efficiency, and possibly some COAL options present an opportunity that is being worked out here through Jeff's efforts. I'm excited to see how this develops. I would like the hunting options that Broz somehow produces. To have a part in so many kills. I'm guessing there's substancial efforts and expertise
to bring that about too. Getting it done.

I am open minded, always willing to listen, just don't see the real advantage of costly brass, minimal performance gains, could care less about the cost of 3 grains of powder for efficiency, more expensive rifles, now to play with a cartridge for fun, I get that.

2016, at shot show I talked to Nosler about their new 30. I loooked at the load data and walked away thinking the same. "Nothing new here"

Fast forward 8 months and everywhere I look there is someone pleased with their new Nosler cased build. This prompted me to take another look. That led me to some comparison as in the OP of this thread. Which led me to this thought. I could ignore what everyone else says and just figure I know better. Or I could gather my own data and know for sure and maybe find a chambering I like better than what I now use. lightbulb or not?

In the end I will have the 30 Nosler and the 300 win side by side in the dirt sending bullets long in same conditions. After that will come the full review "30 Nosler VS 300 Win Mag" shoot out. One will fit my needs as a whole better. Which one? Only real live testing will revel that.

Jeff

...One will fit my needs as a whole better. Which one? Only real live testing will revel that.

Jeff

:D:D:D
Pew..................................................Ding
Pew..................................................Flop

Hmmm...

Let me ponder-

A 30 caliber magnum cartridge that feeds 215's in a standard action like a .308 feeds a 168 in a short action

A cartridge that is very accurate with little effort

A cartridge that can exceed 3100 FPS (215's) in a 26" barrel

A cartridge that loves most slow burning powders

A cartridge that is SAAMI qualified

A cartridge that has good brass available

**** - I can't wait for someone to validate this!!!

LOL

Last edited:
Jeff about how long do you think before your side by side test is done?

All components arrive at the smith Tomorrow. It has had a slot in his schedule for months. He is going to start on it asap. So, I would expect the wait time to be very short. I will get it done asap as I plan to take it to ID for spring bear. Thats about the best time frame estimation I can give at this time.

Thanks
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.