How does seating method effect runout?

rcol317

I have seen a couple post recently that indicate the way a bullet is seated determines the concentricity of the bullet but did not explain what that method is. If you have experience or understanding of this fact please explain. Thanks

inline, supported well, case prepped well .
all things that help keep a bullet straight, and not go sideways.
i do not use a loading press to seat bullets.
inline dies (wilson) and a small arbor press

I am aware of the need to uniform necks, brass concentricity etc but I read it depends on how you seat the bullet. Not sure if they meant rotate brass as seating bullet, seat bullet one continuous push or what ever. I use wilson inline with press for my F class rounds and they seem to be straight but I also turn the necks before I load. Maybe no big deal. May just be a guys opinion. Don't see many of those on this site. Thanks

If you are not using an inline type seater, just a regular one, seat the bullet in small steps. seat a tiny bit, lower press arm, rotate the case a bit and repeat till fully seated.
This is an OLD trick that works.

Find out where the runout is induced, is your brass concentric after you size it ?
Or does the runout happen after you seat a bullet ?

I wouldn't have guessed this and tested everything else. But it works:
- Seat bullet base-bearing junction, with a kiss of your seater, ~1/32- 1/16" deep
- Back off seater, spin the round 180 degrees, fully seat to desired (in one move)

Of course this is barring any other influence issues for straight seating.

I wouldn't have guessed this and tested everything else. But it works:
- Seat bullet base-bearing junction, with a kiss of your seater, ~1/32- 1/16" deep
- Back off seater, spin the round 180 degrees, fully seat to desired (in one move)

Of course this is barring any other influence issues for straight seating.
This is how I do it with hunting rounds, comp rounds are seated with competition type micrometer seating dies.
My brass starts out very straight before seating is done.

Cheers.

If you do not have a inline seating die like the Forster or Redding, a Lyman type "M" expander will help seat the bullets straighter and more concentric. The bullets can be hand placed before seating to insure the bullet starts straight into the case.

ohIUcpd.png

inline, supported well, case prepped well .
all things that help keep a bullet straight, and not go sideways.
i do not use a loading press to seat bullets.
inline dies (wilson) and a small arbor press
Here is a question about the arbor press, are they better than a standard reloading press? I have played with the idea of getting one and I have watched Youtube video from a guy from the UK using the arbor press.

It's not the press as much as it's the dies. I really like the Arbor press because I can seat bullets and reload at the range if necessary. Saves trips. Force gauge is nice and you can see what's going on.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.