How do you ship a rifle you sold

Greg Duerr

I see a lot of guns for sale on this sight...........how do you ship a Rifle you sold to the buyer don't you need to ship to an FFL. What if you don't or what if you don't let the shipper know what your shipping.

I see a lot of guns for sale on this sight...........how do you ship a Rifle you sold to the buyer don't you need to ship to an FFL. What if you don't or what if you don't let the shipper know what your shipping.

Laws vary from state to state, but all interstate transfers need to go through an FFL in the buyers home state. Some FFL's will accept from an individual with a copy or their government ID, other require that the firearm be shipped from an FFL.

It's not a good idea to try to hide the fact that your shipping a firearm from the carrier, especially the USPS.

Intrastate you do not need FFL, just mail.

I have bought a few and had them mailed to me. People seem pretty surprised but it is fine, just check the BATF website in their FAQ section. Going to another state is a whole different ballgame.

I usually remove the stock and mail in two separate packages, this way it does not look like a rifle. I have never been asked if I am mailing a firearm.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.