How do YOU afford this...

52 and I work in pharma. Got 2 kids, 9 & 12 (waited a long time to have them). I have 3 Coopers but they are not really "custom". I don't have any Nightforce or really high end scopes, but several nice Leupolds a Sig sauer Tango 4 and a few Vortex HSTs. I got one rifle that I did have built by the Savage Custom shop. On all of these rifles and scopes.... probably 13k.

Your name just caught my eye I used to have a YZ 80 E and race motocross and hair scrambles as a young kid the first year they came out with mono shock steel frame and tank hard to imagine that was 40 years ago

Both my wife and I have excellent paying jobs esp. for our area and have been enjoying semi-empty nest since 2010. Retired military (2007) and working on 2nd retirement (vested in 2017) as management analyst (civil service) and setting aside nearly $20k annually. All of my wife's income goes to savings and other investments. Despite that we are blessed to have plenty remaining to go around. Since going back to school, I have saved ~$25K from my GI Bill stipend. Having said that, yes I can afford the pricey stuff but cannot justify them. Only have 1 full custom rifle thus far but plenty of factory and semi-custom rifles. I figure everybody should have at least 1 full custom in their lifetime. :cool:

Hunting/shooting and fishing are not my only hobbies and my wife and I have plenty in common activities that we both enjoy to spend together.

Cheers!

Early 60,s
Retired Aerospace Engineer
Camping, hunting, fly fishing, reloader, gun tinkerer...
Raised frugally, did the same with my life.
Every gun I wanted I had to buy, but used dads when needed. Mowed lawns as a kid to buy a 22, then later a 30-30 for deer, traded a an old bolt action 12 ga. Goose gun for a Mossberg 12 ga pump.
Dad gave me a 742 Rem in 30-06 that I did shoot for years. 20 years ago, bought first bolt gun, R700 in 30-06.
Once retired I built my retirement gift which was from a new R700, stripped it for parts, now a custom 7RM, for long range, $3200 with a decent scope. Easily shoots 1000 yds.
3 daughters gave me 6 grandkids, all hunt or love shooting. Most of my other rifles for the grandkids were bargains that we/grandkids handload together, to make inexpensive guns shoot great. All of the g'kids hunt now with stuff I built or bought. Eventually, they will have all of them with the memories of the field and time we spent together.
All told, if I sold everything it would probably be 10-15k over a lifetime. But, the memories, you just can't hang a price tag on that.
Utility or custom rifles can shoot very well. Just figure out what they like to eat.
Put more money in glass than you did your rifle.

I am Blue collar
Grew up in a single parent family
Horses and dogs No Kids
Varied from 30 to 65 a yr
Never touched house hold Income
Hustled cars flipped anything I could to makes a buck
4 Custom Xp 's
Titanium rifle in the works
AND YES I SHOOT A BLASER
Swarovski, Nightforce ,Zeiss
Kahles

Also have hunted Africa México.
Canada. England. Alaska
And the west

Last edited:
We all have various levels of engagement in this sport, and we are all from different walks of life with different expendable incomes.

My Wife and I have "good" jobs, 2 young children that have a lot of interests/activities (cha-ch$ng). We manage our money well and have an eye for the future.

I was reading a thread recently about various mountain scopes, and some of you fellers listed off 6-8 scopes that you currently have in circulation that I would absolutely drool over.

I've lusted over the "kit" required to do long-range hunting any justice for years and years. In addition to a small safe filled with hand-me-downs and affordable factory guns, I have 1 custom rifle that was given to me as a thank you for coaching their sons lacrosse team for 3 years (fortunately it came with a nice scope too - VX6 6-24x52). I shoot as often as I can, I but in reality I wish I could shoot 3-4 times more than I do .... it's the cost of ammo/components that prevents me from going hog wild. I also would like to get a light caliber semi custom to get my kids in on the fun (but we will make do with our ruger American predator just fine.

I stand no chance of "keeping up with the Jones'" but I'd sure be curious to know....

Kids / no kids
Dollars invested in custom rifles and attached scopes

This should be interesting!
Yellow sir. Yeah we all a passion for this stuff. I'm not married but 4 wonderful step kids. It definitely changed thangs. I have built up a pretty good gun collection over the years but it did not come easy. Guns are much more cheaper now. At my bank I set up a gun account. I know that sounds funny but it works. I asked the bank to set up a separate s account that I put $100 a month in. I love my kids but I have a passion as well. 1 year I bought a rifle. Remington model 700 rifle sps heavy varmint 26" barrel 243 $550. The following year I bought a scope SWFA 3-15x42 $750. The rings and picatinny rail will run you about $100. Vortex make some scope that are around $300 that will work also. Stick with Remington and you'll be fine. I even saved some money and replaced my triggers on all my guns with timney Calvin elite. The 243 now belongs to my girlfriend. I've dropped a 180 hog just under 700 yards with it with the factory 95 grain Hornady ammo. I prefer my hand loads. I just wanted to see how it would perform so I can help people when they ask for help on a rifle build. Hope this helps. I will help you with anything I can.

Age - 34
Occupation - Construction
No kids - horses (another expensive hobby), dogs, cats
Dollars invested in custom rifles and attached scopes - <$4k
I only own two rifles. I decided long ago I'd rather have a couple nice rifles that I shoot a lot than a dozen mediocre ones that sit.

Lobbyist
3 children: 3 and 9 month old twins
I am very fortunate to be able hunt a great deal and I very much like having purpose built rifles for the hunts, knowing full well, it is completely unnecessary. Africa is what excites me the most, but I also do an elk or muley every year so I can live out that western hunt experience that can not be found any place else in the world.

3 great kids, 16,14,9
Auto mechanic for 27 yrs
Single income, wife stay at home.
Have 16 guns, only my AR'S are custom builds. I feel ya on the topic. I also build classic muscle cars but as of lately has taken a back seat to guns. (And also another draw back is I live in So Cal were your taxed to take a crap!) So ya it's tough. Probably most can't buy what they truly want right away.

I am 50, no kids, met my wife too late in life and really no energy any longer. I work as a programmer, I have been building my collection for 20 years. This is my only hobby now, I did ride motorcycles, but just found I didn't have time for both, the bike would sit for a couple months, then the carbs got clogged and cost me money.

I do the following, save money and buy quality, even if used. Consolidate on 1 cartridge.. be it 308, 6.5 CM whatever. Even with handguns I only buy 9mm anymore and trade my other calibers away. I started with a Rem 700 5r 300 win mag.. those things will shoot .3-.5 moa in the right hands, I am not there yet. They sell a number of calibers now. Buy bulk when you find a deal.

Update your rifle to be better instead of buy a new one, I started with an HS precision stock on my Rem 700, I found that shooting prone, i didn't have good cheek support, went to brownells and bought an AI AX chassis and had it swapped over, my groups dropped .25 moa. I shoot about .5-.75 MOA now, where I was .75-1.0 moa. Updated trigger also.. once my barrel dies, I will probably put on a proof research one and keep shooting. Don't try to keep up with the jones. Once you have consistently maxed out your rifle then you can upgrade move on to the next caliber..

Have a shooting jar. Drop 10's and 20's in a jar now and then. Don't touch it for a year or 2.

I had more when I was in this category...

Mid 40s
2 kiddos
Run a sales division for small for the industry (200M) company.
Worked in sales all my life--helped grow a couple smaller companies
My uncle was an avid collector--I inherited all of his collection (class 3 stuff double rifles, nice shotguns--he had good taste and deeper wallet than me--plus I have been interested in guns and hunting all my life...id tell you what I have invested and inherited but--I'm embarrassed...I got into long range just 8-10 years ago..so I'm still learning...my collecting passion are S/S British shotguns, Double rifles, and Remington 600s...

I have been into guns all my life--my parents let me run around the ranch when I was pretty little I had a 22 short single shot lever action..I hunted a lot back then..I found a old pic the other day with me and that rifle...good memories

One piece of advice..don't be extreme--buy quality--but you don't have to have the best of the best...wait....good stuff does go on sale...old model good stuff...is still good stuff!

1975, went to the Holland and Holland shop in London and was immediately hooked on the handmade British SXS's.
CB, 69, widowed and my passions are hunting, reloading, accuracy and buy/sell a few guns.

Retired from 3 careers; logging industry/ wood milling machine inventor-builder / heat exchanger designer
Made far less money than anyone who answered this thread.
5 kids 35-47 (Bob went to be with Jesus 19 years ago this month)
Others all through college we have an engineer, forester, social worker and boiler maker.
Built & paid for 4 houses, never had a mortgage. Saved & scrimped my whole life. Don't buy a thing until you have the money for it. Always build/fix it yourself if you have the means.
My "custom" guns would be considered semi-custom to most. Savage/Stevens 10/110/200s, sss, timney, rifle basics, shilen, mcgowen, shaw, savage, savage, savage & more. Bell & Carlson, Boyds.
Handloading for 55 years, still use my first press a Herters model U-3.
Have had good luck punching out savage barrels to A.I.s (6.5/257 Bob Ackley & 257 Bob Ackley in the quarter bores).
I recently bought a 6.5 creed reamer and have been setting back a few 260 barrels and giving them new life.
Punch paper at 100 yards at home, up to 600 yards at our local club. Have made many trips to WY & MT hunting but limit my lrh to 500 or less because of TOF.

Picture a couple of 3 shot groups two days ago on my hundred yard range...not custom rifle groups...but not bad either

Attachments

• Savage barrel.jpg
    Savage barrel.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 30
38 years old...first kid is due in a month. Both my wife and I have very good jobs. I'm a Trade Sales Rep in the Construction Industry and she works at a local financial. We are pretty wise with our money, don't try to keep up with the Jones's. We have a modest house that I have remodeled over the years and is nicer than most of the new houses going up around us, 2 New 4 wheel drives that are almost paid off and no other "toys" to speak of.

I have a nice collection of Browning Side by Sides and Over Unders, 2 Coopers, 3 Customs, 2 Semi Customs and a pile of Factory Rifles and Shotguns. Most of my glass is Nightforce, Leupold, Vortex and some older Nikon and Weaver thrown in the mix. I reload all my ammo as most of my rifles are wildcats or Ackleys. There's a lot of "things" we do without like boats, 4wheelers, motorcycles and so on, so we can enjoy the stuff we like to do. Any money I save for myself is put into an account labeled "Hunting/Gun Fund"

What helped me was my 3 customs I had built had 1-2 year wait times by the builder. So that certainly helped with giving more than enough time to set money aside for them. Another Nightforce was discontinuing Its non Zero stop scope so I picked one up for 1400 vs 2000$

I try to budget my spending as best I can....I'm very frugal until I'm not.

My other gear I've accumulated as needed or make do with what I have. Example, I swap my atlas bipod between two of my rifles as the need arises.

That and look at my needs and skills and budget/plan accordingly. Would I like one sure but I have no real use for an ATACR same with a Really Right Stuff Tripod and ball head. Not when I'm easily getting by with my current set up. Basically I don't really go looking for greener grass once I have what I need.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.