How do I measure Torque

Geez, when I was 13 I bought a Rem 700 in 30-06, put Redfield mounts, rings and a Tasco 3-12 scope on it. I mounted the scope w/ some loctite...AND THAT WAS IT. It shot 1.5" at 100 and about 4" at 300. No Glass bed, no free float, no McMillan stock, no NightForce Scope.

NOW, we are getting out our Physics book just to tighten the screws on the scope rings...I think I'll tighten by hand for a snug fit, I won't make it too tight. I ain't willing to spend $40-$50 for tools I will use once or twice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

RamsesII,
I use two different kinds of inch lb.torque wrenches,first is a Craftsman which is adjustable from 25-250 in.Lbs. It runs about $20-$30.00
And the second one I use looks like a screw driver and is adjustable from 0-40 in.lbs. and is quite the handy little srew driver. I believe it is made by snap-on. I got it off Ebay for $40.00 but to buy it new is over $100.00. I just love that little thing.
they are both adjustable by turning the handle to increase spring pressure on a steel ball, so if you set it for 20 in.lbs.and start applying torque on your screw it will cam over when it reaches 20 in.lbs. there is no chance of over torquing.
308nate

We must have the same profesion because I too work with tools all day for living. You are correct it aint the best by far but works nicely! I don't use it to make money and have only used it a few times so I figured there was no since in spending 200 bucks for a setup that was going to collect more dust than work! I am not a fan of JAP tools either but when I may only use it once or twice I don't see spending too much cash on it! I use much nicer and more expensive brands for the money making process! I agree the harbor frieght line may be best for throwing at animals sometimes but it serves my perpose for now. ( P.S dont tell my neigbor but I usually tend to throw much faster projectiles when his dogs wont shut up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

7RUMLoader,
did not want to offend but some chinese tool's are a great bargain for the price (drill press,sanders,pipebender's etc.) but for precision accuracy (Optics,torque driver's,apple juice)the orient (exept for japan) sucks.
B

No offense taken brian b. I was just saying that the one I have works good and when compared to others is accurate within 3-5 inch pounds. I just have not pushed myself to invest more cash in a better setup yet. I remember when we just tightened them up until we said yea that feels tight enough. Your very right some oriental tools are great bargains and tough as nails and some are not worth their weight in dog poo! I also feel a higher quality setup would be better for precision work and maybe after hearing someone else tell me that I might get off my purse strings enough to purchase it! Thanks Brian b! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My understanding of torque has always been as follows:

When you get up in the morning with a good erection, walk to the stool for your morning evacuation, push down on it to aim and your feet come off the floor! Now that gents they say is TORQUE. Your lesson for tax day and unlike the IRS this information is freeeeee.

SDWhirlwind,
I agree with you completely but is that 1" or 2" to bring your feet off the floor ?????????????????
B
p.s.what kind of a torque wrench do you use 1/2" sheetrock or 5/8"

Sorry I should have added that the handle I use is 9.375" in length. Very, very sorry if your mileage varies and you must use much more leverage with a shorter handle. Ahem.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.