How do I measure Torque

Ramses II

I just got me some Leupold bases & rings, The torque is 20 for the bases & 30 for the rings. How do I measure the torque?

Ramses II

[ QUOTE ]
I just got me some Leupold bases & rings, The torque is 20 for the bases & 30 for the rings. How do I measure the torque?

Ramses II

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that it's INCH pounds, NOT FOOT pounds.

You can buy a inch pound torque wrench at Sears or several places online...sakofan..I hope this helps.
I stressed inch pounds, because some people think it's foot pounds and bad things happen when they try to tighten the screws!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You need and inch pound torque wrench to accuratly measure the torque applied if it's in inch pounds and a foot pound torque wrench if it's in foot pounds. Check out some local parts stores for some deals on them or go to harborfrieghttools.com and they have them at a resonable price and dont forget to get a set of torx and allen sockets to fit the torque wrench or it will be usless. Thats the method myself and others use for checking torque but there may be another method that works equally well and I don't know about it.

Use a torque bar (wrench). A small one you set the desired torque on the bar it applies torque up to whatever you set it to and then disengages. 20-30 I think will be inch/pounds ("/Lbs)PLEASE CHECK. You should be able to get one from a decent tool shop. Also you can use it to set your action screws cca 60 inch pounds depending on stock. On the torque bar you may get two scales inch pounds and N/M Newton Meters. The most useful torque bars are the small ones which give a smaller lower range of measurement which is more useable and accurate.

Hope it helps,

david

Sakofan &7 RUMLoader,

I think everyone was typing a reply at the same time, as usual I was last.

Anyway a good concensus of information.

David.

[ QUOTE ]
Yea we were cause when I finished typing I saw were sakofan had just beaten me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your reply better!! LOL
You provided more info in your thread!!...sakofan... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brand... "Bitool" made in England. I think this one fell off the back of an oil rig.

David.

One day I will learn how to spell. That should have said "Britool"

David.

Let me go and get my slide rule back out. Like a dummy I put both of them back up last night.

Being a weird human being, I still have my high school physics book and
Torque is defined in chapter 2 on page 55.

Torque is = length of the arm multiplied times force applied to the end of the arm.

In this case the "arm" is the length of your socket wrench or allen wrench measured from where you applied the force to where the screw is.

Couple of examples for illustration

20 inch lbs is equal to a 20 pound weight hung on the end of
a one inch long allen wrench or it is equal to 10 pound weight hung on the end of a 2 inch long allen wrench or it is equal to 5 pounds hung on the end of a 4 inch long wrench

New example of a very critical nature

20 foot pounds is equal to 240 inch pounds because we are now hanging 20 pounds off of a one foot (12 inch) arm. Be sure to get this right

Alum heads on a small block Ford are tightened to about 60 Ft lbs as I remember and this means pulling on a foot and a half long socket wrench with torque scale with both hands really hard. I don't think we are dealing with foot pounds here on a scope.

Now then, one other minor point of not so much consequence, as you tighten the screw down with one fluid motion the indicator will go to 20 and if you stop at that point it will probably take 30 to get it started again (just like starting lug nuts on a wheel. If you tighten to 15 and stop and then check with the screw at static it will register over 20. If you have locktite on the screw it will act as a lubricant and 20 will be tighter than 20 with no lubricant. If you are mounting a scope on a 22 rifle then you may not need 20. If you are working on a 460 magnum whopper stopper 20 may not be enough to keep the scope from moving.

Actually for what you are doing all of this is pretty much not really critical unless this is some really expensive optics. Whether you get it to 18 or 22 doesn't matter - torque wrenches are notoriously inaccurate as I understand them.

If we assume that it is 20 inch pounds not foot pounds then measure your allen wrench or what ever and then divide out to get the weight you need to apply to it. If you got a fish scale, trigger scale bow scale or something you can practice a little with it and the allen wrench until you "feel" what is needed.

If you just like new tools, go and get yourself a torque wrench
or if this scope cost more than the national debt then go and get one.

just my $.02

I use an elcheapo from harbor frieght tools that costed 28 bucks if I remember correctly. They also have the sockets and adapters you need too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks for the compliment sakofan!

[ QUOTE ]
You need and inch pound torque wrench to accuratly measure the torque applied if it's in inch pounds and a foot pound torque wrench if it's in foot pounds. Check out some local parts stores for some deals on them or go to harborfrieghttools.com and they have them at a resonable price and dont forget to get a set of torx and allen sockets to fit the torque wrench or it will be usless. Thats the method myself and others use for checking torque but there may be another method that works equally well and I don't know about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Being a person that works with tool's all day for a living I could not let this one pass. DO NOT USE a HARBOR FREIGHT torque wrench for any thing other than throwing at the neighbors dog in the middle of the night when he wont quit barking. they are no better than a K-Mart ratchet with newspaper rubberbands.
spend 3 or 8 more dollars and get a CDI Torque ,Mac or anything that does not say Made in CHINA
IMHO
B

Anyone with kids age 10 to 15 and a torque wrench. This thread has the makings of a really great science fair project and a great learning tool for a child on real world science. I tried to get my son to do this one. What is the yield strength of different quality bolts. Go down to the local auto repair and get an old engine block to use as the test bed and then order three each of all the dfferent strength bolts and torque to failure and see if it matches the head stamp.

Sorry to get off the thread, but I think we were probably all torqued out anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.