Hot Tent... Is it Necessary

Be sure to test all your gear before you go. You don't want to pack it all in to find out you are missing 1 little part.
Even a new sleeping bag. I went to Canada last spring on a bear hunt. I knew the outfitter was going to have tents and cots but I had to bring my own bag. I wanted a light bag rated for the expected temperature so I bought one in extra long so I would have plenty of room. I did not try the bag out before I went. The first night I got there I laid the bag out and climbed in. It was plenty long but I think it was made 80 pound Chinese people that only eat rice. I could zip it up to my arm pits but it was not wide enough to go over my shoulders and zip up. I had sleep every night with my coat on.
On the plus side - my 6 year old grandson got a new sleeping bag when I got home.

I prefer to have a heat source in the tent more for drying things out at the end of the day than I do for keeping me warm as I sleep. I'm one of those guys that would stoke the fire up and fall asleep and instead of getting up in the middle of the night to stoke it again I'd just huddle deeper into my sleeping bag. Bought a Riley pellet stove now for when I'm camping close to the pickup and now don't have that problem. Fill the hopper at night and it's still burning by the morning

I prefer to have a heat source in the tent more for drying things out at the end of the day than I do for keeping me warm as I sleep. I'm one of those guys that would stoke the fire up and fall asleep and instead of getting up in the middle of the night to stoke it again I'd just huddle deeper into my sleeping bag. Bought a Riley pellet stove now for when I'm camping close to the pickup and now don't have that problem. Fill the hopper at night and it's still burning by the morning
I looked up these stoves and they look pretty slick. I like the idea.
Only issue I see is that wont work at 8,ooo feet or higher elevation and they weigh 60 pounds. They would be great for a wall tent.

A hot tent is VERY nice to have if you have the means to transport it and the stove.

A hot tent keeps sleeping bags much drier and that's because the moisture does not condense nearly as much on the inside of the shell. A warm shell lets the vapor keep on going into the air. That's great for stays over 2 or 3 days B/C you bag will retain its loft and warmth.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.