Hornady Superformance what powder used

Varmtr

G'day Guys.

Just got back from the range getting the 22-250 on paper using Hornady Superformance 50gr now I was very surprised it shot 1/2 MOA constantly. Now I would like to duplicate it and just wondering if anyone knows what powder is used in this ammo.

Cheers
Rossco

Thanks Mudrunner

I'll see if my local has any or if Winchester are planning to import it.
So far Winchester bring in CFE223 and Lil-Gun ( if they get there act into gear ).

Cheers
Rossco

The trouble with duplicating Superformance ammo is there are many powders that are used in that line of ammo and only one Superformance powder available to us reloaders.

The trouble with duplicating Superformance ammo is there are many powders that are used in that line of ammo and only one Superformance powder available to us reloaders.

This precisely the issue.
Hornady, as of last week, uses one of 34 powders for their ammo. Hornady does not use Canister-grade powder, that is what gets branded and sold to the handloader. Also there is no major factory that loads charges in weight, they all use volume based upon burning rate.

Duplicate speed, not that hard. Duplicate the load is impossible.

Thanks guys
Seems like I might be better of to stick with locally made ADI powders then.
Cheers
Rossco

Thanks guys
Cheers
Rossco

I would contact Hodgdon and Hornady first before making a final judgement call. I would also be interested to hear what they have to say.

Thanks guys
Cheers
Rossco

Rossco,

I totally agree and it's always nice to support your own products as much as possible; chances are, they are specifically made for your local environment too.

Making the superformance powder available to us is probably the closest we will ever get to a trade secret.

Cheers!

Ed

Rossco,

I totally agree and it's always nice to support your own products as much as possible; chances are, they are specifically made for your local environment too.

Making the superformance powder available to us is probably the closest we will ever get to a trade secret.

Cheers!

Ed

It's always good to support local thsts for sure. I know that ADI makes some powders for Hodgdon's as I spoke to a ADI rep and he did tell me which one's. When I find the list I'll post it.
I have emailed Hodgdon's waiting on a reply.
Cheers
Rossco

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.