Hornady sst superperformence issues??

buckand bull

Hello all, has anyone had issues with the hornady superperformance sst bullets?? I know i was shooting a 300 win mag with 180 grains on antelope but thats the grain bullet my 300 win mag likes and I thought for long range it would perform well. My issue is that I ended up taking a antelope at 100 yards and it was right behind the shoulder. The damage was unreal to the one side basicaly destroying the cape, ribs, and lungs but did not penetrate far or through which i wasnt expecting but still it blew most of the front quarter apart. He still ran 70 yards and I dont want to hunt bear or elk if something like that happens again. I shoot one gun and dont want to have that type of damage on deer either. Has anyone had the same issue???

also thinking of switching to the 185 grain berger from now on any reccomendations?
Thanks

Last edited:
I had the same problem with anything over 25-06 cal. I now use BERGER vld's, but the noslers also worked very well, but my main rifle likes the BERGER 168vld better (300 RUM).

Had a similar thing happen years back with ballistic silver-tip on a whitetail. 7mm rem mag, hit bone (used to aim for bone, was used to doing it from hunting with lever actions + bullets that didn't expand much unless they hit bone). No exit, tons of damage to front quarter.

I've shot other similar bullets (including sst) into ribs / lungs / heart without issue. (some bullet frag, quick death, good recovery on meat)

Curious, how has your velocity spread been with super-performance?

These travel at around 3100 fps and thats what I wondered is that its such a hot bullet at only 100 yards that it hit the ribs and just fragmented because the damage to the front shoulder ribs and the lungs was unreal. I have never seen anything like that before. I definitely wont use them again because I want penetration as well as expansion but not total destruction on impact. I hate to waste meat, and also he still ran a ways before dumping. So it sounds like everyone likes the berger 185 vld for 300 win mag. My gun just shoots 180 grain better so I just want to stick with 1 ammo. I will be bear hunting and a little deer hunting this year so i want a good bullet. any suggestions appreciatred?
Thanks for the replys everyone.

If you want limited meat damage your best bet is to not hit meat. I do a lot of hunting with a guy that shoots 185 grian Bergers out of a 300 Weatherby. It hits like the hammer of Thor and dang near guts them @ the same time BUT he will wait for a cavity shot that doesnt get anywhere close to meat.

Shot the last goat with superperformace 162s out of the 7Mag(2950fps) @42 yards. To my amazement that buck took off like he had not been hit. The second shot took out both back legs @ the hock. The first shot went in and out right behind the shoulders, the exit I could not get my little finger in.
My hunting partner took out two goats with the 154SSTs reloaded to 2925fps. One went in the right behind the on shoulder and he found a perfectly mushroomed SST in the totaly distroyed off shoulder @350 yards.
The other one went in right behind the front shoulder but totally blew off the other shoulder @ 425.
Ya the 7 mag is a little too much gun for goats and my shots are generally much farther but???? Back to ballistic tips and Amaxes for goats out if the 25-06 and 6.5-284. I can live with a little meat damage but will not tolorate FMJ performance!

They call them superformance, I call them super junk, hornady makes good bullets just not loaded ammo. 3130 isn't all out on a 180 in a 300wm. I suggest 180grn accubonds from Double Tap or Corbon, most accurate factory ammo imo.

Try Hornady GMX solids. I'm going to use them in 185 in my 338WM for ELK in Nov.
If I'm lucky enought to shoot one I'll let you know how they work.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.