hornady sst bullets

splattermatic

was in the gun shop today, and was looking at different bullets.
opened a box of .30 cal 180 gr. sst's, and boy they sure look sweet, but anyone ever shot them ?
are they accurate, and most of all, how do they perform on game at lr ?

Think of them as "twins" with the ballistic tip....but they have a cannelure and made by another company. Re long range performance......both bullets are nothing more than a hollow point covered by a plastic tip that accelerates the expansion process. Expect generous holes even at slow speed. Some people like this....others don't.

i figured they were just like a bt, but some bullets shoot great, and other's are just so-so...
i was hoping someone could tell me if they shot worth a darn.

i am hoping, since i have no experience with bt's on game, that i could get some insight as to how they perform on game at ranges from say 400 yards to 800 yards..

suitable for elk ?

I have been loading them for a 300 Hart (weatherby imp) that is an awesome LR deer stopper.

We have been using the 180s and at a mild 3200 (the hart can go to 3400) and it will really hammer deer LR.

Longest so far is little over 800 and they normally just fold up or take a step or two.

Accuracy has been in the .2-.3 range at 100 and around 1-1.5 at 300 shooting off the Buds bag.

BH

I was gettin so so groups in my 6.5x 284 with them. farthest kill was on coyotes at around 2-250yrds. I have a friend which primarily uses these with great sucess

This has been the most accurate bullet out of my Browning A-Bolt 300 Winchester. I have used the 165 gr. with groups around .150 at 100 yds. I seat them .010 from the lands, too long for the magazine so it is a single shot. I shot an antelope at 483 yds. with this bullet. Bullet performance is like a Ballistic Tip.

Tom

My dad bought some 180g SST's for his Ruger 300 Win Mag. They didn't shoot for crap honestly. I tried couple different powders and nothing worked. I also tried a couple loads with them out of my 300 RUM and they to did not group worth crap. I would expect performance to be pretty much like the Btip. I think they are suitable for elk if the range is around 200 yards and out. I load for several different guys in my elk camp with there 300 WM's. I load them all 180g btips w/RL-22 at around 3100fps, and they/we have been having great success on spike elk the last couple years. 2 years ago, a guy took a decent 5x5 at 750 yards with the 180g BT. Performance was as good as any.

I tried some SST's in my .270 and they did not group well at all, although I did not spend much time in load development. I went right back to the load I had been using for 20 years. I then tried them in my .243. They shot very accurately. I shot a deer and the bullet punched right through without any signs of expanding. I shot a small hog and the bullet came to rest against a bone, again with no expansion, and the tip only bent. Although I have heard lots of good stories about the SST, I was not impressed.

They are a great example of how guns/bullets differ. First let me say that my guns are commercial Mauser sporters, and when I get one load that works I stop looking. To me this is anything around 1.25" or better. My 308 and 30-06 both shoot 165 Partitions to this standard. The 308 shoots great.75" or so with the same load using the 165SSTs, but much bigger groups with the Ballistic tips. The 30-06 shoots the same groups, even almost to the same POI with BTs, but not as well with the SSTs. They shoot very well in both my and my friend's 7x57. I'd try them if I were you, but I think the 165 is about perfect if for deer/pigs. capt david /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Splattermatic, Long range performance is good if they group for your gun. Short range performance is explosive if you hit bone. I'm happier with the Interbonds or Accubonds. Same design bullets with the bonding safety margin for closer shots.

We have had excellent results with them out of 270win. They do not seem to blowup as bad as the Nosler BT's out of my gun. I shot an Axis doe about 85-90yds in the neck and the exit hole was about the size of a quarter, infact Mike got the shot on video. If I would have shot her with the Nosler it would have decapitated her as it has happened before on whitetails.

We are shooting 55grs. of Hunter lit with wlr primers getting 3060 and they shoot in 1 hole at 100yds.

Later Tim

I use hornady SST 225gr in 338.cal in my weatherby 338-378 I shot 9 whitetail deer this year with them bullets drop all in there tracks but put some pretty big holes in them I shot deer from 350yards to 75yards big hole in all of them I will neck shoot them from now on with those bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.