Hornady OAL gauge - making my own modified case

So what's that around $25 in parts? I may pick them up and screw around with some 223 cases since I have thousands of them to get the general idea of things. I dont have a drill press or a lathe, or a vice, just a 20V dewalt drill. Not sure how straight I could get them with that? May need a few more tools to get it squared away. I'm pretty set on the calibers I already own, may get rid of the 240 WBY after it shoots out and just go with the 6/06 next. 240 WBY is kind of a picky SOB and the brass is stupid expensive...Other than that, I have a 223, 7-08, 280, and a 7-300. Pretty much covers what I'll ever need.
If you decide to make your own modified cases to use in conjunction with your Horandy L.N.L. Straight O.A.L. Gage or the older Stony Point , here are a few tips.
You really must drill that letter L drill as straight as possible into your brass case head.
Make certain to place your case inside hardwood jaws that have been drilled out slightly larger than your case diameter ,and then cut in half making two inserts to place between your vise jaws. ( Disregard this step if you use a lathe and collet to hold your brass shell )
To that end a drill press with a vise attached and squared up , or a lathe is the way to proceed .
Remember that brass is soft and gummy and will heat up and easily gall unless you use some sort of coolant like left over automobile engine oil.
Just a drop or two while you are clearing your brass chips from the drill bit as your brass shell case will run hot while drilling. That brass shell case head is deeper than you think so just take your time and go slow.
You will also need to lubricate your 5/16 " X 36 TPI tap as it cuts the thread.

I hope that this post may give you some guidance.

Havent read through the entire thread yet, just page 1.

I havent done my own MC but have had modified cases tapped for me.

I will look at these Vaugh Precision's methodology vids with interest but even on the 1st one I dont understand why bumping would be an advantage??

The person who did my mod cases is an Australian team BR shooter & just wanted straight fireformed cases, fired at least 2 or 3 times.
So this suggest to me you want the MF case to be "full fit" which makes sense to me.

Great subject though & really like these advanced processes which I have followed since day one of my relaoding journey from about 12 yeas ago.

I know there have been a few threads also about how seating depth affects throat erossion but hey I just love the jamming method & work back.

I dont have a drill press or a lathe

I don't either. I've often thought about getting something like the link below, but I'd have to justify it with more uses than just making modified cases. I ended up just giving the drill bit and tap to my Gunsmith and he agreed to make modified cases for me (no charge) whenever I needed them.

So what's that around $25 in parts? I may pick them up and screw around with some 223 cases since I have thousands of them to get the general idea of things. I dont have a drill press or a lathe, or a vice, just a 20V dewalt drill. Not sure how straight I could get them with that? May need a few more tools to get it squared away. I'm pretty set on the calibers I already own, may get rid of the 240 WBY after it shoots out and just go with the 6/06 next. 240 WBY is kind of a picky SOB and the brass is stupid expensive...Other than that, I have a 223, 7-08, 280, and a 7-300. Pretty much covers what I'll ever need.

Yes, ~$25. Unfortunately, even with redneck ingenuity, there are minimum tools and equipment that one needs to have. Vise or clamping devices and the ability to square and hold your DeWalt drill securely in the process. You can get a carrier stand for your drill like ...

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZB3HQC/?tag=lrhmag19-20)

... but you would still need a vise.

I ended getting a table press (depending on where you get them, Amazon, Harbor Freight, you can get them ~$60-$75 on sale or with discount coupon) but I use it for other than modifying brass.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQONFVE/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I got a 20% discount coupon for this >>> https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
I don't either. I've often thought about getting something like the link below, but I'd have to justify it with more uses than just making modified cases. I ended up just giving the drill bit and tap to my Gunsmith and he agreed to make modified cases for me (no charge) whenever I needed them.

Brother, a word of caution, if you buy that, you'll be making stuff other than modifying brass. 😇

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.