A rifle I already own

bass7858

Hi everyone,
i have a weatherby vanguard in 300 win mag. Its at least 10 yrs old and has never been shot very much. I have shot maybe 4 boxes thru it. If memory serves me correct its actually made by Howa. Its been put away for a few yrs. I had a gunsmith work the trigger and a friend who is a serious shooter helped me float the barrel. Syhthetic stock.
The last time i shot it using hornady factory 180 gr loads, a 3 shot group would consist of 2 bullets holes touching and the 3rd about a 1/2 inch away.

my question would be, would it be possible to take my time and turn this gun into a 1000 yd shooter? Does it have the right stuff or should i unload it and seek another rifle?

Many thanks for any advice or thoughts.

Well 300 win mag is more than capable of being a 1000 yard cartridge. What profile/contour barrel in on the rifle? That 1 flyer can be caused by many things. Trigger control, flinching, etc.... however if you've got a skinny hunting profile barrel on it then chances are by that 3rd shot the barrel has heated up to the point where accuracy goes out the window. My friends savage in 300 win mag does the exact same thing. It's a .5 moa gun if he does his part and lets the barrel cool down. Next time you go out, wait 5 minutes between each shot and see if the group tightens up.

the quickest and easiest way is to put a heavy krieger barrel on it. the other way you use up a lot of ammo and time.

I'd say that a trip to the range, 1 box of ammo. Is alot faster and cheaper than spending money and waiting for a custom barrel. Especially if you're just trying to see if the rifle is capable of accomplishing what you want to do with it. Most factory rifles can outshoot beginner users anyway. Also no one just wakes up one day and starts slinging rounds out to 1000 yards with any kind of accuracy or effectiveness. It takes practice at shorter ranges, in that time you'll figure out if your rifle and YOU are capable of shooting at those kind of distances. Work with what you have now and practice proper techniques. Then go out and spend the money on something that is semi custom or whatever your budget allows. You dont want to spend $4,000 on a rifle and another grand or two on a optic. Only to get frustrated with accuracy and effectiveness because your techniques are not up to speed to extract the potential of a custom built firearm. Thats just my .02 based on having to work on a limited budget. But hell if you've got the dough, make bread. :D Either way, welcome to the LR shooting community.

the 300 win mag is an excellent round for long range. both my son and son inlaw 15 shot groups you could cover with a sheet of notebook paper during a 1000 yard match with a 300 win mag sendero. very good rifle/barrel and very good ammo.

handloading helps. a heavy barrel helps and a really good scope helps. a sporter weight 300 win mag with no muzzle break , an unknown scope, and no match ammo does not help. depending on what your objective is or what you are shooting at.

Weatherby or Howa:

Either way they have a reputation for being accurate. I'd suggest you follow the advice about taking 5 minutes per shot and allowing the barrel to cool down. I've had a couple of Howa's (308, 223) and they all shot extremely well. I installed triggers and one piece steel bases with Leupold Scopes. My brother now owns them and has killed one elk so far. The 223 he uses for target practice mostly.

Proper barrel, bolt and action cleaning is critical to accuracy. If you have a sporter barrel, it important to not go crazy blasting away. Work on your shooting form, and follow through. The 300 Win Mag can easily shoot to 1000 yrds.
Gonzo

if you do not reload- get some fed gold medal match 190 grain ammo. shoot some 5 shot groups at 200 yards allowing 1 min between shots . if your groups are less than 2" you are good to go. if not get some black hills match ammo and repeat. the next most accurate ammo i would try is some 180 accubond ammo. if you do reload, load some 190 match kings . 030 off the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.