Hornady bullets

I have had a similar experience with Hornady (only mabey more extreme) I love Hornady bullet's for varmint hunting because they are accurate and explosive because of their proprietary copper-butter jacket, but a couple years ago I was out shooting through the chronograph with goodgrouper testing loads for my 7mmRemMag. I tried several different powder's and seating depth's with 2 different bullets The 160gr Accubond and the 154gr Interbond.
After the first test I had to get a bigger 100yard target to accurately measure the groups. the 160gr Accubonds were not stellar shooting around an inch to inch and a quarter but the Hornady 154gr Interbond shot around a foot to a foot and a quarter. I tried 3 different powders and 3 different seating depths and never shot 1 group under 12" (yes that is a foot) worst bullet EVER. I was unlucky enough to buy 200 of the same lot and still have 75 left if someone else needs a laugh LOT# 04-022
UB

I have had a similar experience with Hornady (only maybe more extreme) I love Hornady bullet's for varmint hunting because they are accurate and explosive because of their proprietary copper-butter jacket, but a couple years ago I was out shooting through the chronograph with goodgrouper testing loads for my 7mmRemMag. I tried several different powder's and seating depth's with 2 different bullets The 160gr Accubond and the 154gr Interbond.
After the first test I had to get a bigger 100yard target to accurately measure the groups. The 160gr Accubonds were not stellar shooting around an inch to inch and a quarter but the Hornady 154gr Interbond shot around a foot to a foot and a quarter. I tried 3 different powders and 3 different seating depths and never shot 1 group under 12" (yes that is a foot) worst bullet EVER. I was unlucky enough to buy 200 of the same lot and still have 75 left if someone else needs a laugh LOT# 04-022
UB

UB,

I'd tape those bullets to a paper target and use them as your bullseye while shooting some Nosler or Berger bullets at them. GG could probably shoot the plastic tips off of them with his new Krieger barrel.

Good grief - 12" groups! Couldn't do any worse if those were loaded butt-ends forward. I had some .338 225 grain Hornady Spire Points that shot about 6-8" groups out of my 338 Win Mag 12 or more years ago. They patterned like 00 buckshot. But your 12" + groups has gotta set some kind of record! Take that box of bullets and fire them out of a home-made cannon. Get rid of'em all at once. :D :D

I have found the AMAX to be much easier to ge to shoot than the SST or Interbonds. I was really looking forward to the Interbonds when they came out but never could get either the 139 grain or 154 grain 7mm ones to shoot.

The 7 mm 162 AMAX is a completely different animal though. Not to hard to get to shoot at all.

This summer I started shooting the 6.5mm 140 AMAX and am having decent luck with that as well ...

The 52 grain AMAX is amazing in the AR-15! And so are the 55 grain VMAX!

We need Jerry Teo to write a special arcticle on how to get Hornady bullets to shoot well, I have read he shoots a lot of them.

well i checked a few of our bullets today and so far we dont have any of those lot number phorwath, but we are swamped right now and i dont have time to check them all, i will try later.

does any one know at what step in the process the polymer tip is added to on the interbond bullets??? i just wonder at what point the bonding is done and when the tip is added and if there could be some problem there.

it just sucks that there is that much of a problem with the bonded bullets and the amax's work so well.

would be interesting to find out

steve

does any one know at what step in the process the polymer tip is added to on the interbond bullets??? i just wonder... ...when the tip is added and if there could be some problem there.

steve

I suspected it was happening during "Happy Hour". :D

my best group with interbonds and sst have been about 1.5". went back to conventional non plastic tip hornady bullets and all is well.

The Hornady Interbond tips are temperature sensitive. I found this out when my wife washed my hunting clothes and there was a round in a pocket. The tip was completely deformed from the drier. It was not in there long at all either. I heard it tumbling and got it out but was clearly soft and easily changed shape. I suspect that some of these bullets got to hot at some point from the factory to the final customer. I further tested this by sitting a bullet under my car windshield on a hot day and even that was enough to soften them so that if I pushed hard it would move slightly.

When I first started reloading, I was told the top 4 bullet makers were Sierra, Speer, Nosler, and Hornady. This was ~ 20 years ago. I was told by 3 of the guys in our loading dept that I'd probably notice equal accuracy with Nosler and Sierra. Speer would be next, and Hornady last.

For me, they were correct then and their words are still true to this day.

Had the same problem in a winny 270 WSM model coyote the sst shot like 2" plus. In fact it would'nt shoot anything exept 90gr. sierra varmint bullets so maybe it was just the gun.:confused:

Hi all we just built a 7mmRemSAUM on a mohawk with a rem take out barrel we could not get Nosler accubonds so we got the customer 139gr Hornady InterBonds he told us the gun was only shooting 4" groups at 100yards so we got it back it shoots around .75" elevation with speer and sierra120gr soft points and around .25" elevation with 168gr molly matchkings but 3.5" elevation with hornady 139gr interbonds is just crap. They are $120 per pack here and he has 200 we want to get his money back I have emailed Hornady and will report what their answer is

Re: Hornady bullets alias Crooked Tips

Wild_Bill,

Did your Interbonds come with crooked plastic tips also? Or did they just make sure my replacement box was full of crooked tips just as bad as the first batch I returned before they shipped it out? :( Probably just threw some more bullets in my original box and shipped them back out. ge(

Oh well, doesn't sound like they shoot worth **** in anyone elses rifles either.

I just checked the tips they are ****ed i think they all have had a stiff drink of OP rum.

It is not just the plastic tip the meplate looks crocked aswell.

The lot no is #2060976

I realy hate recomending a product and they are shuit it makes me look like an *** and also frustrates the customer and i get realy ****ed off aswell.

Cheers Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.