Hornady 7 STW brass!

sbsmith

I just bought two bags of new Hornady 7mmSTW brass from Graf & Son's for $58.99 /50pcs. Anyone know when this happened? Looks like our prayers have been answered.

I just bought two bags of new Hornady 7mmSTW brass from Graf & Son's for $58.99 /50pcs. Anyone know when this happened? Looks like our prayers have been answered.
I bought some too in STW and 300WM. Haven't used the STW brass yet but the 300WM brass required a fair amount of prep. I guess I'm spoiled with Nosler/Norma brass. I had to trim the Hornady brass before loading whereas the Nosler brass I could just load and shoot. Also the flash holes needed more deburring. I don't know if the STW brass will be the same but you might check these things ahead of time. However with the excellent price of the Hornady brass it's probably worth a little extra prep time.

I've heard the whole spectrum on hornady quality. Some say it sucks. Some say it's fair. Few say it's great.

Let us know how you make out. I hope it's good stuff.

Winchester made the best, they stopped making it. Your choice is Remington.

I have had great luck fireforming loads with great velocity and accuracy from 300 Weatherby or 8mm Rem mag.

Primer pockets tend to get loose on the Rem. RW Hart makes a tool that will tighten up primer pockets.

If you can find any Winchester brass buy all you can get, I DO!

Winchester made the best, they stopped making it. Your choice is Remington.

I have had great luck fireforming loads with great velocity and accuracy from 300 Weatherby or 8mm Rem mag.

Primer pockets tend to get loose on the Rem. RW Hart makes a tool that will tighten up primer pockets.

If you can find any Winchester brass buy all you can get, I DO!
I agree, the Win brass, at the time was very good.
Never had luck with the federal brass, very short life.
Maybe the Hornady brass will be good.

hdy brass in 7stw seems to be good from what I've seen so far. I bought a 50 pack from a lgs and prepped it. It actually seems to be of proper dimensions, unlike the Bertram brass I picked up last year (that brass is a bit short in the body and the belts are shallow). It also seems to weigh rather close to rem and ww 7stw brass, with the average weight only 10 grains or so lighter. It does have a bit of weight spread from low to high, with the 50 I have ranging 6 grains; that's not much different than other popularly priced brass though... I still need to load some of this stuff up and shoot it.

The absolutely best brass, i ever shot Iin the STW, was msde by, or for, A-Square.
Awesome pockets, uniform necks, and didn't stretch much.
I got about 8-9 firings, if I remember, then the pockets started to soften.
That stuff is gone now, i believe.
I'm thinking nowadays, Nosler probably has the best, pricey though!

The absolutely best brass, i ever shot Iin the STW, was msde by, or for, A-Square.
Awesome pockets, uniform necks, and didn't stretch much.
I got about 8-9 firings, if I remember, then the pockets started to soften.
That stuff is gone now, i believe.
I'm thinking nowadays, Nosler probably has the best, pricey though!
+1 on a-square brass... I have some in 375h&h and it is great stuff...

+1 on a-square brass... I have some in 375h&h and it is great stuff...
Lefty, somehow, i think, Norma, May have made that brass, for A-Square. Can't prove it, but it is very similar, in its characteristics, and feel.
Whatever, its great brass.

But, the old Winchester brass was the bomb, when it was current.

Lefty, somehow, i think, Norma, May have made that brass, for A-Square. Can't prove it, but it is very similar, in its characteristics, and feel.
Whatever, its great brass.

But, the old Winchester brass was the bomb, when it was current.
I still shoot some win brass in 7stw... getting short on it though since the stuff hasn't been made since '04..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.