Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X Powder

I pulled one of the 143 Precision Hunters apart the other day and found 41.0 grains of powder in Hornady brass with a CCI primer. The powder sure looks like H4350 to me. The velocity of the 143 Precision Hunters in my rifle is just shy of 2700 fps. **Update** My MV is now 2745 after firing 85 rounds through the new barrel.

I also stripped down a 147 Match round and found 40.0 grains of what looked like RL17 with a CCI primer. When I checked Hornady's load data for 147s, sure enough RL17 and Norma URP are right there at around 40.0 grains to make close to advertised velocity.

Last edited:
Have any of you tried N204 in the 6.5 CM? I had 4# listed for sale in the classifieds, but sold it locally to a range friend. He shoots 6.5 x 47mm, and with 130 gr. Berger VLDs he started getting 1-hole groups right off the bat. First with 3 rounds and then with 5 averaging .3" and he's just getting started! It's got me thinking about a 6.5mm and with the SRP brass for the CM, I wonder now if I should have kept the powder.

He also uses H4350, or did, and most opinions favor either H4350 or RL17.

I have used the following load in 4 different creeds with same results. Dang near one hole groups. I recently shot a string over a Labradar chronny and had an ES of 2 fps. Recently loaded up some more for wife's new tikka and had an ES of 7 with an SD of 2.8

-Hornady brass full length sized bumping shoulder .001", trim length 1.916"
-143gr ELD-X
-41.2 gr H4350
-CCI-BR2 Primer
-2.166 CBTO W/ Hornady Comparator
-2721 fps out of 26" 8 twist

I have also loaded for a few more creeds with same components and CBTO just a little different powder charge of H4350 that have all produced loads that shot in the .1's and .2's. In my experience using the above components with a powder charge of 41.2 to 41.9 grains, if it won't shoot bugholes, it's the rifle or operator.

Many hate hornady brass, but I haven't had any problems. I have some cases with five loadings on them and primer pockets are still good. Might have just gotten lucky with the batch of brass I bought...

I have used the following load in 4 different creeds with same results. Dang near one hole groups. I recently shot a string over a Labradar chronny and had an ES of 2 fps. Recently loaded up some more for wife's new tikka and had an ES of 7 with an SD of 2.8

-Hornady brass full length sized bumping shoulder .001", trim length 1.916"
-143gr ELD-X
-41.2 gr H4350
-CCI-BR2 Primer
-2.166 CBTO W/ Hornady Comparator
-2721 fps out of 26" 8 twist

I have also loaded for a few more creeds with same components and CBTO just a little different powder charge of H4350 that have all produced loads that shot in the .1's and .2's. In my experience using the above components with a powder charge of 41.2 to 41.9 grains, if it won't shoot bugholes, it's the rifle or operator.

Many hate hornady brass, but I haven't had any problems. I have some cases with five loadings on them and primer pockets are still good. Might have just gotten lucky with the batch of brass I bought...
How far off the lands are you jumping these bullets?

True. The 40.9 number comes from their 8th edition. This was the first Edition with the Creedmoor in it, I believe. So, this edition was out at the same time they had the 41.5 recipe on the box. Wish I had pulled one of their 140 Amax loads when I had some. Just to see what the charge weight was.
This is from an old box.

Attachments

• 44C831C1-2A43-4F57-80A0-ACBD812B1EBA.png
    44C831C1-2A43-4F57-80A0-ACBD812B1EBA.png
    717.5 KB · Views: 1,393
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.