Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X Powder

motrophyhunter

Not sure if this information is out there but does anyone know what powder Hornady is using the 6.5 Creedmoor Precision hunter in the 143 ELD-X? Seems to shoot great in my rifle better than I can produce at this time unfortunately.

Not sure if this information is out there but does anyone know what powder Hornady is using the 6.5 Creedmoor Precision hunter in the 143 ELD-X? Seems to shoot great in my rifle better than I can produce at this time unfortunately.

I'm guessing more than likely h4350. That's what they used to use in their match loading

Can you pull a bullet and dump the powder with one of the Precision hunter rounds, see what it looks like and check the weight? It may be their Superformance powder...

I have read that the Superformance on the shelf it not the exact same as what they use in their ammo though.

Can you pull a bullet and dump the powder with one of the Precision hunter rounds, see what it looks like and check the weight? It may be their Superformance powder...

I have read that the Superformance on the shelf it not the exact same as what they use in their ammo though.
Yes I weighed it at 40.8 grains, it looked like H-4350 but not sure.

Hornady list 40.9 Gr as max for H4350 in the Creed with 140 gr. bullets. Speed was 2650 out of a 24" barrel. So it might be H4350.

The other thing I have read is big ammo manufactures do not use the same powders as on the shelves. They use special blends. So you may not be able to duplicate it exactly. I would think that if you could get to the same speed with about the same load density, you could duplicate it well enough though.

They used to list 41.5 grains of h4350 on They're match ammo box
Hornady list 40.9 Gr as max for H4350 in the Creed with 140 gr. bullets. Speed was 2650 out of a 24" barrel. So it might be H4350.

The other thing I have read is big ammo manufactures do not use the same powders as on the shelves. They use special blends. So you may not be able to duplicate it exactly. I would think that if you could get to the same speed with about the same load density, you could duplicate it well enough though.
I have used the 40.8 grains and didn't group near as well as the factory round.

They used to list 41.5 grains of h4350 on They're match ammo box
True. The 40.9 number comes from their 8th edition. This was the first Edition with the Creedmoor in it, I believe. So, this edition was out at the same time they had the 41.5 recipe on the box. Wish I had pulled one of their 140 Amax loads when I had some. Just to see what the charge weight was.

True. The 40.9 number comes from their 8th edition. This was the first Edition with the Creedmoor in it, I believe. So, this edition was out at the same time they had the 41.5 recipe on the box. Wish I had pulled one of their 140 Amax loads when I had some. Just to see what the charge weight was.

That never made sense to me. Just shows how conservative manuals are

This is the first time a factory load shoots better than one of my hand loads which is frustrating to me. If it is a blend then I can't do much about it.

You may have to use a chronograph to verify the factory ammo speed, then work your load up to duplicate the speed. That might work.
Do you guys have any good loads for this bullet you have been using? My rifle is a 24" 8 twist proof barrel with a standard chamber and blueprinted 700 SA

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.