Hornady 53. gr v-max, anybody tried?

strombeckj

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am addicted to PD shooting. It started with a Winchester model 70 varmint hunter in .223. which I shot for 4 yrs before handing it off to Kevin weaver for a re-barrel which turned into a complete re-work, which is now turning into my 2nd rifle being built buy him in 12 months time. Not to mention I am also new to reloading since he took my .223 and I ended up with .223AI.

My question is this. I have seen on Hornadys website the new 53gr v-max's. These super bullets boast a .290 b.c. NOW, has anyone had a chance to shoot them? As I have not been able to locate any yet to work up some loads.

Thanks

I think you will have to order them from Hornady's website. I looked all over the place and didn't see any for sale yet. If you can push those things around 3300+, they will be great for pdoggin.

That's a great Idea; I know hornady is not selling them directly. But I will give them a call to find out who may have them or when they'll ship. I'm thinking I may be able to get these close to 3500fps with my AI Chamber. I just worked up some new loads with the 8202 XBR that start at 26.5gr and max out at 28.6gr's using some 50gr ballistic tips. These should fly out the tube at over 3700fps with the max load.
(Not that I will be able to shoot that with accuracy or no signs of pressure.) Just waiting on a decent day to pull the trigger weather wise now.

Have you tried any of the 52gr. Amax?

They may not have quite the explosive factory the Vmax has but those little 52gr Amax's are one of if not the most accurate bullet I've shot in my .223 A good stiff dose of Benchmark, those 52Amax and Mmmmm it's allll good. Coyotes seem to really hate them though. :)

That good to know, I have some they just have not found their way into the press yet. The BC on the new 53's is just so inpressive fo tht light of a bullet. not to mention the energy they are bringing with them. (just hope they shoot) My barrel is 1:14, 4 groove krieger so the larger bullets are out of the question.

Heck, If you already have some 52Amax laying around I'd be loadin those babies up and giving them a try. I shoot them in 2 different .223 bolt guns. A Rem. LTR w/1-9 tw and a Howa w/1-12 tw and both will shoot the same load Exceptionally well. In fact I'm toying with the idea of turning the Howa into a 22-250AI for the same bullet. The yotes that seem to hate my .223 with these 52's would REALLY hate them out of a 22-250.... gun)

22-250's are the bomb! but that new 53gr v-max with it's high BC would be almost as devastating as a factory 22-250 load. Now put the 53gr V-max into a 22-250….I'm sure it would be impressive to say the least. If you re-barrel, think about a .20 practical with 40gr's. It's a HIGH FPS load with great BC and less recoil. All you would need to do is pick up a type S bushing die in .223 and you can still use your current brass necked down. Food for thought!

That's a thought but I already have a new Lilja .22cal barrel waiting for me to make up my mind on what it should be turned into. My experience with the Vmax versus the Amax is the Amax will handle a bit more speed than the Vmax before throwing itself apart.

Whats the twist? If I had a .223 already…. I would move beyond a 22-250. Maybe a 22-243 or 22-284. A 22-6mm Rem will throw a 80gr Berger VLD at about 3800fps. Deadly on a PD and yote easily. With that high of a BC and FPS now your talking.

It's a 1-9 Lilja .22cal will finish at 24in. I was going to just rebarrel back to .223 but now I'm heavily leaning toward 22-250AI and with Lapua making brass, hell, what's not to like.

It's a 1-9 Lilja .22cal will finish at 24in. I was going to just rebarrel back to .223 but now I'm heavily leaning toward 22-250AI and with Lapua making brass, hell, what's not to like.

it sounds like your set for 22. cal's I would set aside the 22cal. barrel and go get a 20. cal and build a .20 practical. My two cents worth.... As soon as kevin is done with my next build I am heading towards a .20 practical on a AR platform by Robert Whitley

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.