Hornady 45-70 brass

300Rummy

Has anyone reloaded any spent brass fron the 45-70 Leverevolutions? A buddy gave me some to reload for him and they are only 2.035" and are supposed to be trimmed to length at 2.095", that's 60 thousandths shy without any trimming, my normal rems, and winnys are usually 2.105"-2.110" when I trim them, any responses would be greatly appreciated..

My experiences with Hornady brass has been less than stellar. I had case-head separations in two calibers, both on their second firings at a rate of about 80%. I'm not a fan, and the measurements you mentioned do not do much to sway me to consider using anymore any time soon. Good luck with whatever you do with the brass.

My experience with hornady brass is also negative. Got a bunch for the 300 wby when it was about $22/50. Softest brass I ever saw. Medium loads blew the primer pockets to heck. Too bad cause the cases seemed to be made so precise.
I got virtually perfect runnout loading virgin brass....the neck tension felt so consistant it was just wonderful. Not sure if someone made it for them or they did themselves. I emailed the loads to them and they said they were way over max.....loads that shot great in Rem brass and weatherby. Loads like 82 grains of Re22 under a 180 in a weatherby rifle with freebore was just "too much". As far as I was concerned when they emailed that I was way over max it was just another embarrassment to them.
I love alot of other hornady products like their bullets which I consider "the best of the non premiums"....and their dies. I've had great luck getting almost "zero" runnout out of the hornady dies.
Oh well....the world isn't a perfect place.

Yes, the Leverevoluion brass is shorer. I believe that this is the only load Hor. has for a 45-70, but if you look at the std. 350gr. flatpt. load for a 450Mar. & stand it up beside the Leverevolution load, the std. load has the regular length brass & the Leverevolution brass is alot shorter. The pointed bullet is longer & to meet overall length requirements & it would be hard to seat the bullet much deeper. So, the brass is not shorter just because it is Hornady. As a friend pointed out to me, the short brass
may work out OK if you loaded a bullet with a long nose profile like the 350Speer.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.