Hornady .308" 225gr BTHP Match

Stevewix

I completed a round of testing yesterday, and found these bullets to be extremely accurate in a .300 Win Mag. (3 shots groups well under 1 inch @ 300 yards). Obviously they weren't designed to be a hunting bullet, but can I get away with using them on Elk if I avoid the really solid bone shots? (shoulder, etc).

These things fly nicely and I'd sure like to have one go-to load that I can hunt and compete with.

Thanks!

I shoot the 285s in my 338 and i also really like them. The only thing i have shot with mine was a coyote at 210 yards and needless to say it did the trick but i have yet to try them on a elk. I will be trying them in about three weeks and will let ya know.gun)

I'm having a tough time believing 225 grains of whoopass being delivered sub-half MOA won't dispatch an elk. If nobody thinks it's a good idea to use the new Hornadys, I'll go back to my tried-and-true 200 Accubond load.

I completed a round of testing yesterday, and found these bullets to be extremely accurate in a .300 Win Mag. (3 shots groups well under 1 inch @ 300 yards). Obviously they weren't designed to be a hunting bullet, but can I get away with using them on Elk if I avoid the really solid bone shots? (shoulder, etc).

These things fly nicely and I'd sure like to have one go-to load that I can hunt and compete with.

Thanks!

Steve, What MV were you getting with these bullets out of your 300WM?

Sorry guys, using H1000. I based this off of the Armys most recent load for 300 WM. Fed GMM Primer, H1000, .005" off the lands. I find in my rifle the node is between 77.75 and 79 grains although drop the load 5% and work your way up. I've read its a good idea to use a magnum primer if you're going to a very cold climate but cannot substantiate. On a side note, I'm having my doubts about a target bullet on Elk, but 200 Accubonds still hold .5moa in my rifle.

Disclaimer: Don't use my loading data!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.