Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

Jud96

I would like to know if anyone has any experience taking game with a Hornady 208gr AMAX. Basically tell how they performed and what they were used in, what range they were used at, and what game you took with them. Thanks!

I have shot a couple Sitka blacktail with my 300 ultra mag and 30.06 shooting 168 grain a Max. Plus a big brown bear with my 30.06 with a 168 Amax.

I shot this deer at 636 yards with my 300 ultra mag.

I've shot a lot of game with a variety of amaxs including the 208. I don't recommend them for mature thick skinned large boned male mammals that's for sure but for up to large mule deer and caribou, they're awesome. Many 'match' bullets are very unpredictable on game. The amax is very predictable. It expands very rapidly on skin, flesh or bone. Even at low velocity. That said, don't hit heavy shoulder bones up close on big animals.

They've worked 100% for me on speedies & deer (I've avoided heavy bone). I have a good friend who's killed a few elk, many deer, and piles of speedies with them- at a variety of ranges out to ~1k. I even watched him hammer a blackie at 862 yards last spring with them. I love them for hunting.

Thanks for all the info guys! Keep it coming! Nice shooting badandy, looks like the AMAXs worked for you! My use would be on white tail here in WV and in PA out of a .308 Norma at extended ranges from 250-700yds so if you guys are taking down bear, black tails, and sitka they are definitely going to work for me! I have a few boxes of 190 SMKs but don't want to risk shooting one with a bullet with such a little hollow point that may not expand. Eventually I'd like to go hunting out West for Mule Deer and Elk, if this slug works on big game I might just stick with it when I head out into the mountains! Thanks.

Everything I shoot with them I shoot like its a bow shot. If you put it in either the crease behind the shoulder. It litterally looks like the swallowed a hand grenade. Even the deer above it went in one side and came out the other about the size f a half dollar it just sucked stuff out lol. I have never shot anything with them that didn't DRT.

Thanks Andy! I was curious on where to place the shot. Didn't know whether to shoulder shoot them like I do with my Hornady SSTs or hit them behind the shoulder like you suggested. I figure a white tail would drop with either shot I decided to take with the energy I'm making, but don't want to risk anything so going to listen to your extensive experience. Thanks!

You should buy and read this book. The Practical Guide to Long Range Hunting
You will find it very helpful.:cool:

I didn't think I asked anything about needing help or saying I didn't know what I was doing. I simply asked what peoples experience was with these bullets. I'm not buying some guide to read something I most likely already know. I have the right cartridges but just wanted to see what bullets others were having success with.

Sorry. The author of this book shares extensive information on ballistic and terminal performance of the exact projectile in question here on your thread. I found this book extremely helpful and it inspired me to build a 308 norma mag(should be done in a couple weeks). I am in no way affiliated with the author or book. I just thought you would find it very interesting and helpful because the content is so closely related to your question. I meant no offense.

Sorry. The author of this book shares extensive information on ballistic and terminal performance of the exact projectile in question here on your thread. I found this book extremely helpful and it inspired me to build a 308 norma mag(should be done in a couple weeks). I am in no way affiliated with the author or book. I just thought you would find it very interesting and helpful because the content is so closely related to your question. I meant no offense.

Well in that case I'm so very sorry for taking offense to your suggestion. I took it the wrong way and I thought you were implying that I need to do more research and that I didn't know what I was talking about. I hope you will forgive my misunderstandment. On second thought I'm also in the process of building my first long range magnum rifle and it happens to be a .308 Norma such as yours! Mine is being built by my Uncle (who's a gunsmith) and me (who is very interested in the gunsmith trade.) When your Norma is all done I'd really like to see some of pics of it! Again sorry for the big misunderstandment.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.